5

alfie

I locked the door to my apartment and walked over to the lift, I had only just moved here so I wanted to 'explore' my surroundings, see what's what. I see the roof button in the lift so my instinct was to click it, and that's exactly what I did. Once the lift door opened, I stepped out onto the roof of the building. I walk out and tug on my jacket since it was quite cold, well cold enough for October.

My eyes scan around and it was clearly obvious someone has been here. I walk over to where there were pencils and pens at the edge of the roof, but then again they could've been here ages. It was around half 8 so it was already pitch black here.

I sat down next to the pencils and looked over the big city that was in front of me. I never really admire things, not unless they are worth admiring. I look up at the stars and sigh. It's true what people say, you know?

"The darkest nights produce the brightest stars"

***

I've been sat out here for a while now. It's cold, but I don't feel it anymore. I've had a few cigarettes, one was currently hanging out my mouth. I puffed out some smoke and I suddenly heard a noise that sounded like a bang.

"Hello?" I call out. "Is anyone there?"
No one answered and I didn't hear anything else so I closed my eyes and let out a sigh of relief. My eyes opened against at the noise of fidgeting, coming from behind the vent. I quietly made my way over, being careful not to make a noise. As I am quite tall I could see past the vent as I walked to it. The first thing I saw was chestnut brown hair, long chestnut brown hair. It was draped across the persons face, hiding it from me. I was assuming it was a she but I didn't know. I was now stood directly in front of her, I saw her head turn up towards me but I couldn't make out her features since it was pitch black and there were no light.
"What are you doing here?" I almost hissed at her, slightly annoyed that she had interrupted my privacy.
"This is where I always come, so actually what are you doing here." She argued, crossing her arms over her chest. As she did that the lights switched on and I saw her face.

Her hair was still slightly on her face, but she soon tucked it behind her ears. She was really short, like really short. She didn't seem very colourful, she was in all grey. Her black tights were ripped and so was her jacket. Black eyeshadow was smeared over her eyelids.

"I was here first." I told her, hoping she'd leave.
"Actually you weren't, I've been here way longer than you ok new boy? So don't come here acting like you own the place." She was confident I'll give her that, I mentally chuckle.
"Well, I'm not leaving." I smirk at her.
"Whatever new boy, just keep your distance." She nudges my shoulder as she walks by me and sits down where I was sat. They must be her pencils. She opens her bag and pulls out a black book, she lays it on the roof ledge. She picks up one of the pens that I found and started writing in the book. I sat a few metres away from her and continued to look over the city and occasionally look over to see what the girl was doing.

I had been sat there for about 10 minutes when the girl closed the book. I heard her sigh and put her head in her hands. I didn't bother asking what was wrong, they're all the same.
"I never got your name?" I mumbled over to her.
"Stranger." She spoke with no emotion.
"No, seriously what's your name?"
"I'm not telling you, how do I know your not going to con me and pretend to be me." I laughs at herself.
"I think if I was going to do that I would already know your name, wouldn't I?" I smirk yet she still doesn't tell me her name. "Fine." She looked over at me with confusion,

"I'll just call you shorty."