Chapter 5

Aelin stood against the wall. Everyone was dancing and drinking, but she was just looking for a chance to slip downstairs and help the dwarves escape. They had hatched the plot over the last two weeks, Bilbo taking off the ring and appearing to confer with her and Thorin.

Legolas came up to her. "I've got to go direct the servants. My father's already out of the reckoning. But would you honor me with a dance later?"

She nodded and smiled, stomach clenching. Whether from nervousness about the escape plan or guilt for deceiving her dearest friend, she wasn't sure. Legolas disappeared into the crowd. Finally, the group that had been standing near the doors moved. She ducked and moved.

Aelin hurdled down the stairs. The party upstairs was noisy and distracting, and became therefore their only chance to leave before Durin's Day. Bilbo had thought he'd found a way out, and she knew the guard watching the barrels. Absolute drunkard, Ranoi.

Thorin looked up as she came into sight. "You're late, lassie. We're almost ready to go."

"I know." Bilbo was visible, standing near the cell. She scanned the hallway. All the dwarves were out of their cells but Thorin and Fili, whose cells Bilbo was opening with keys. "Where'd you get those?"

Bilbo's mouth curled up. "You were right. The guard was already drunk and asleep by the time I got to the barrel room to check things out. These-"he held up the keys after unlocking Thorin's cell- "were sitting on the table. I am a burglar, after all, and couldn't help myself."

Aelin laughed quietly. "Let's go then." Concern for Legolas flashed through her mind. He'd be upset that she'd left without saying goodbye. But then the dwarves began to walk, and she grabbed the bag she'd packed and left in Bilbo's care this morning.

It didn't take long to get to the storage room. Thorin, Aelin, and Bilbo pulled all the lids off the barrels and pulled some of the straw out. The dwarves clambered in, and they packed straw back in over them.

"Thorin, get in. Bilbo, you too. Hurry."

Bilbo's brow furrowed. "Aren't you coming?"

Aelin smiled. "Of course. But not in the barrels. Trust me. I'll meet you somewhere along the river." She packed Thorin in and shut the barrel, just as footsteps began to echo down the hall. Bilbo climbed in, and she piled straw in and shut the barrel hurriedly, then slipped behind a wall of hay bales.

Two elves came in, chattering. Their cheeks were flushed. They're drunk too. Good. One of the elves began to push barrels into the river.

The other rolled one in, and then stopped. "Are you sure these are all empty?"

"Sure." Their words were slurred.

"Hmm. Well, if the king's best wine is being rolled into the river, it's your head, not mine."

The last barrel rolled in and the trapdoor closed. Aelin pulled a cloak out of her bag and pulled the hood over her head, then tiptoed up the stairs. She made it to the next floor, and could hear guards downstairs. She smiled to herself, then turned to go up the stairs to the gate.

"I see you've decided to leave with your friends. I thought you might."

"Legolas! Stop doing that! You scared me." Secretly, she was glad to see him, not to mention that he wasn't a guard.

He waved a hand in dismissal. "No goodbye?"

"I couldn't risk telling you I was leaving."

"That's fair. Now I know, though, so-"

"Are you going to tell your father?"

He looked thoughtful. "No, of course not. I'll tell him the dwarves kidnapped you, perhaps. Something of the sort."

"Thank you." I could still leave. "Goodbye, Legolas. I hate to leave so soon."

He shrugged. "Nothing you could do about it. You're on a deadline. But promise me one thing."

"Anything for you."

"Come back. Stay alive. If you die before I can cash in on that dance, I'll track you down in the Halls and kill you again."

She laughed, relieved. "Well, I was going to get myself killed, but if you insist. I'll do whatever I can to stay alive and come back to you, mellon."

He smiled, then hugged her suddenly. "Be careful. I'll miss you. Now go, before the guards notice your friends are gone."

She ran along the river bank a few hours later. Aelin could see her friends a few miles downriver. Some of them had come out of their barrels and were clinging to the side. There were orcs behind her, but they were miles and miles back, not even to Mirkwood palace yet. Bilbo, or at least she assumed it was Bilbo, was pulling barrels up on shore and unpacking the dwarves inside. She joined him just as he unpacked Thorin, who was soaked, covered in straw, and clearly unhappy.

"Let's get over this Lake and get to your Mountain, Thorin!"