16

All throughout the week thoughts ran through Darah's mind about the things Dumbledore had said to her. Did he really answer the question she was going to ask? If so, did anyone else know? The other Professors?

For the first week, Darah had focused on her friends. She hadn't seen them throughout the holidays, in fact the only people she had been in contact was was her house elf and father.

Pansy had been telling Darah that she was certain Draco had a crush on her. 'Have you seen the way he looks at me?' She spoke with dreamy eyes whenever Draco was mentioned. Darah didn't quite understand why she would think that, in fact, she thought that herself and Draco had more of a chance than him and Pansy, and even then it still wasn't likely.
'Have you even met Draco?' Darah scoffed sarcastically when Pansy told her. 'The only person Malfoy likes is his father.' She laughed mockingly.

To add on to this, Darah had once again bumped into Harry and his friends. She had been walking through the courtyard when Harry, Ron and Neville Longbottom were playing gobstones.

'Ah sorry!' Darah said hurriedly as she completely got in the way of the marble stones. Ron had flung his arms up in frustration and Harry reassured Darah it was fine. Then Snape and Malfoy happened to come out at that moment.

'Miss Lucie! What do you think you're doing?' Snape shouted sharply at her.

'Sorry... sir. I- I'll see you later.' She frowned nervously and proceeded to hurry away from the scene.

'Darah, Darah!' Draco waved after her and hurried to catch up.

Darah turned around at him ashamed.

'What was all that about with Potter and those Gryffindors?' He said arrogantly.

'Ugh. It doesn't matter. I just ran into their game of gobstones.' She flailed tiredly.

'Ha. Bet that annoyed them.' Draco laughed.

'Only Ron... er, you know that Weasley guy.' She covered up quickly.

'Disgusting blood traitor family.' He scoffed.

'Why? Because they're pure bloods that aren't in Slytherin?'

Draco looked at Darah funny. 'No, idiot. Because they're pure bloods and they like muggles and mudbloods.'

Darah turned her head at Draco. He couldn't be serious, she thought. 'What's wrong with muggles?' She asked offended by what he'd said.

'I feel like this is a trick question.' Draco blinked at her. 'I'm gonna go to transfiguration now... right ok, bye.' He quickly changed the topic and left.

Darah stood there in bewilderment. She felt sorry for Hermione who she had vaguely befriended, she was so talented yet Draco really didn't think she had the chance to use that. And aren't we all muggles until we reach Hogwarts?

***

Darah sat in the common room, late at night, doing her homework she had been putting off. She was alone, only the cracks coming from the spitting fire to accompany her.

She huffed, stressed, she scribbled on the pages and quickly hugged them up all together and headed off to her dorm.

All the girls were sleeping, except Pansy. As Darah entered through the door Pansy looked at her doubtfully. 'Why do you even bother doing your homework?'

'Because Dumbledore will be on my case.' She shrugged, half laughing.

Pansy rolled over in her bed. 'And what? He's literally like five hundred years old, he can barely walk anymore. That's why he's a head master and not a teacher, doesn't have to do any work, just sits in his office and eats Bertie Beans everyday and plays with that parrot of his.'

'Phoenix.' Darah corrected.

'Whatever. My point is, Dumbledore can't do anything, especially not with Snape around.'

Darah looked at her doubtfully.

'Leave your homework and come hang with us.' She paused and quickly rolled back over, excitedly. 'Did I tell you? I think me and Draco are a thing now!'

Darah's head swung back around to face her. 'What? Like you're going out? Dating?'

'Yeah! I think so.' She nodded frantically.

'Wow. Cool.' Darah didn't really know what to say. She smiled at Pansy kindly and got in her bed and as her head hit the pillow she fell right to sleep.