a & b - home 🦋

A/N: TW for self-harm & suicidal thoughts/almost attempt

I let my brain wonder and my fingers type for this one so I hope you enjoy!

...

Addison

The sand trickled through her hand. Her head rested on her knees currently tucked to her chest. Why? Why was it always her? She had been so close. So close to everything she'd ever wanted - a life of travel, kids, a good, caring husband. And then he has the audacity to bring another home, into their special place she held so dearly, so close to her heart. 4 years. 4 years for what? To get her heart broken by some Chad? Maybe she was just incapable of love. Maybe she was just too closed off and, as he would've called it, "not ugly, not not pretty but just unpretty compared to her."

She took a deep breath, the salty air somewhat soothing. Looking out at the sunset, she turned towards the cliffs. It would be pretty up there. Surely.

Bryce

His feet dangled off the edge. It was freeing, the feeling of almost not having a care in the world. Almost. It was freeing to think that one push and he'd have no more worries, no more cares, no more sorrows. A new kind of freedom. He looked down at his arms, lines of anger, pain, drawn from his elbow to his wrist. The ocean would wash them away, he thought, just like everything else. It was the ugly truth; this way to go was the most freeing way to go. He'd sat up here many times before, watching the waves ebb and flow, thinking about the time when he would stand at the top and let himself go. Falling, falling, falling, the wind whipping through his hair as he falls headfirst into relief.

And then he'd be free.

Addison

Standing on the cliffs felt truly liberating. Fuck him, she thought. Fuck him. She placed her shoes on the rough rock near the trees before stepping out onto the stony outcrop. It may have been my fault, but I still deserve better. She slowly made her way across the rocks, focusing on the sting of her feet. She got out to almost halfway before she realized there was already someone there. Frowning, she thought about whether to turn around and leave them or go to sit on a different part of the cliff edge. The person shifted oddly close to the brink of the cliff and her heart dropped into her stomach. They're here to say goodbye, she whispered to herself. I can't let them die. She scurried forward, ignoring the stabbing pain in her feet. They shifted closer with every second, arms out, welcoming. She gasped when she got within ten or so metres. She'd know the back of that man from anywhere. She struggled to let out a breath, yet she ran forward.

"Hey," she said, warning him of her presence. When his response was a muffled sob, she stepped forward to console him in the way she'd done many times, six years ago. Her fingers ran through his hair as she bobbed down, pressing kisses to the top of his head. "Don't do this. Please. Talk to me first."

She heard him let out a sob, yet he pushed himself back, so his calves touched the rocks. His head was still low, yet she knew he knew who she was. He was speechless as he racked with desperate cries, and Addison sat down next to him. She draped a leg over his, the other behind his back as she huddled into his side, comforting and loving.

Bryce

He shifted himself, his legs hanging further off of the cliff. He tipped his head up, his eyes closed. The rocks pricked at his hands and he dropped his shoulders so he could drag his tender arms across the ragged surface. The pain shot up his arms and through his body. He didn't worry about blood - the water would wash it away in a matter of seconds. He shifted closer to the edge, the edge of his tailbone, the only thing holding him alive. He lifted his arms, welcoming the wind. He was almost free. Tears began to stream, his last unsaid emotions, feelings, thoughts in physical representation. He suddenly became aware of footsteps behind him, running, panicked. "Hey," she said. He let out a muffled sob. He'd know her voice from anywhere. She was his home. His comfort. Her fingers ran through his hair and he felt her bob down, her front against his back as she pressed kisses to the top of his head. "Don't do this. Please. Talk to me first."