Books and Goodbyes : the exaggerated, ultimate grief

When you flip to the next page and see the word epilogue in bold you flip back again. Just to see if it is over, and it is. But doesnt it always feel weird, like something real just ended?

This might sound too exaggerated but ending a book might sometimes feel like youve lost new friends you have made and you have been disconnected from their lives. This might even hold true for any other form of entertainment. When you read a book be it a book written from the perspective of the first person or the third, how you connected with the characters or morphed into them while reading might amaze you.

Emotionally descriptive books let you become more involved even if you are against the characters emotions.

Throughout a good book, you are given ample information to work with, to let that float amidst your thoughts, to transform your surroundings completely and lose yourself in a peaceful abyss of a life that temporarily feels like yours.

With every new character introduced you might be attracted or repelled by them, you learn more and more about them gradually. Just as you do when you meet a person in real life.

You might even connect with the characters/narrators emotions deeply helping you read between the lines to understand the story better. When you relate to a certain character more you might view the rest of the story from their perspective.

Have you ever read the same book over and over like me? Was it to understand it better, to remember it again or was it because it might have made you feel something you wanted to feel all over again? Either way when you go through the same pages once again it all rushes back like one memory. Every page you turn, you know youve been there before.

These aspects of a book are what make books so mesmerizing. Losing yourself in a universe which might be better or worse than your own is a completely unique experience. Every new life you enter into, you experience something completely different, which is amazing. Its what keeps you open minded and open to different kinds of people, what makes you feel like you have been in a certain situation even though you havent in real life. It might make you feel emotions that you didnt know existed. And these might be the ones you feel you give up when you end a book.

Again, this whole thing might have sounded a bit too far-fetched but these were the only words that best described saying goodbye to a good book.

(image cred: youreadmymind)