Chapter 32

The rain had poured down on me the entire walk to school - I barely noticed. Nobody expected me to be here. I didn't expect me to be here. Especially not on my birthday, but hey, here I was. A changed person.

I haven't bothered to put makeup on, I haven't brushed my hair, I had barely managed to brush my teeth. I was acting exactly like a girl whose brother should be acting, except for the fact that I was optionally attending school on my birthday... while he was still missing.

But what should I even do? Stay at home waiting for a 'present' off of Ryan, waiting for news about my brother. I couldn't do it anymore. I just wanted normality back, even for a day. Even if it was my so-called birthday.

Birthdays were overrated.

"Amelia? What the hell are you doing here? Are you okay?" Georgia took my elbow as I entered the school, appearing almost out of nowhere and leading me to the side.

I looked like shit compared to her. I had dressed in joggers and a tank top, but I was now coated in rain drops over my entire outfit and my hair as if I'd been in the shower. Georgia, however, looked glamorous in her brand new jeans and leather jacket. I wish I had her life.

"I'm at school, Gee. It's a school day and so I'm at school." I commented, heading towards my locker so that I wasn't late for class.

"Does Carter know you're here? Have they found Jamie? When was the last time you slept?" She fast walked behind me, desperate to keep up as I walked off.

"Honestly, don't worry about me, Gee. No he doesn't know. No, they haven't found him. I haven't slept properly in ages, that's nothing new. I'm just going to grab my stuff from my locker and head to class, I promise I'm okay. I'll see you at lunch." I reassured her, before turning her around and in the direction of her first class.

Just as I reached my locker though, the bell went off. I didn't want to be late for class, not when I hadn't been yet this week. Deciding that I could work without the textbook for today, I skipped past my locker and straight into the first period. As soon as I had taken my seat though, my phone buzzed with a text.

My phone was the most important thing to me at the minute, desperate for an update on Jamie. Every buzz, every beep or any sort of device noise associated with a phone, I will be jumping to look at my own. So that's exactly what I did... under the table so that I didn't get a detention.

Carter: Georgia says you're here at school? Are you in class? Meet me by your locker when the bell goes, Amelia, please.

Carter: By the way, happy birthday x

I didn't respond to his text, especially once the teacher required all of our attention to discuss our upcoming test. As if I was going to have the mental capacity to be able to study for a test, or even listen to the concept of a test happening. It was a no from me, I wouldn't be attending that day.

At the end of class I did what Carter asked and met him by my locker, him obviously knowing that I have a free period now in my timetable. I'm not sure if that's cute or creepy that he knows that. I'll go with cute just to make myself feel better for right now.

"I can't believe you've come in today, Amelia. It's your birthday." He spoke softly as I wandered towards him, immediately wanting to curl up into a ball and cry. He wrapped his arms around me as I reached him, kissing my forehead as he wished me a happy birthday.

"I couldn't just sit at home twiddling my thumbs, Carter. I need to feel useful." I whispered into his chest, trying so hard not to cry thinking about Jamie.