˙oʍʇ ɹǝʇdɐɥɔ

TW F SLUR.

After school i immediately run outside to Steve's car, waiting for him to arrive and anxiously playing with my hands. I see him walk out of the high school and towards the car. When he reaches the car I look up, and he holds the same look i do, "did you hear?" steve asks, i'm guessing the police went into the high school too. "Yeah. the cops were talking to me." i say back.

He shakes his head and looks down. I don't even know what to think. It doesn't seem like something that would happen in Hawkins, and to someone who i know so well? I'm guessing steve thinks the same thing because he pulls me into his arms. I don't know how to react at first, i don't even remember the last time we hugged. But slowly i remember how he used to comfort me, how we're the only thing each other has, and how even though we're both bad at getting it across, we care about each other.

We pull away awkwardly, and don't make eye contact. I know we both feel like that was needed, but it was also not expected. "That was weird." i say, breaking the silence. Steve starts laughing immediately and i start laughing right after. He punches my shoulder playfully and we continue laughing before remembering the situation we're in and steve tells me to get into the car.

Once we get home my mom is freaking out. She said joyce already called her earlier that day but she thought nothing of it. She makes us be with her the rest of the day, me and steve both hate it. For me, Its one of those things where yeah, its scary, but i just wanna be alone. And for steve, i know hes anxious, not for will, i don't think. but thinking about the fact that he's missing is nerve wracking enough, like who took him? I dont think hes thinking about will, Hes probably not even concerned about will, hes probably just thinking about the next time he can be with nancy.

When my dad gets home he has the paper in his hands, we wait for him to say something, but he doesn't. He probably hasn't even thought about it. He probably completely skipped over wills name. While we're having dinner my mom mentions it. "Out of all kids, will byers? He always struck me as a smart boy." she says, my dad looks up from his plate confused. "He is, mama. He knows what he's doing." i say, trying to remain optimistic. I look at steve subtly and he lightly smiles, and we look away from each other and at our plates, neither of us really touching it. I'm not hungry. My dad still looks confused. "Who, joyce byers' kid?" my dad asks, looking at my mom, my mom nods. No one ever leaves hawkins. That's the saying around here. Everyone knows each other because no one leaves.

"The fag? He's probably already dead." i look up from my plate, my mouth agape. "Stephen!" my mom says, yelling at my father. Steve holds the same look of shock on his face, like i said, i don't think steve really gives a shit about will, but you don't say that about a missing kid.

I use my feet to scoot my chair away from the table, and i get up and walk away, visibly angry. "Sofia, baby, come back." my mom says as i stomp up the stairs. Steve watches me, i know he's upset i left him alone with my parents. My father knows i used to be friends with will. With how little he pays attention to me, he probably thinks we're still friends, which would make him even more of an asshole.

I just sit in my room for the rest of the night. Not in the mood to do anything. Everything feels so ominous and weird. I don't even feel safe in my own house. I have nothing to do. I think about what my dad said. Is will dead? I take out a box of pictures and see all of the memories of me and them. The science fair, and trips to the quarry. Each picture is so important to me. I hear clicking coming from a basket in the corner of my room. "Sofia? Sofia come in." i hear lucas' voice say my name, and I immediately get up and search through the basket full of old toys and things i don't use anymore.

I finally come across the walkie talkie, and answer lucas, just as we used to. "Lucas? Are you there?" i say, waiting for him to answer. "Yeah, i'm here. What are you doing? Over." he says. "Nothing. I mean- I'm in my room. Kinda, um. Kinda busy." i say, trying to not sound desperate. "oh, if you're busy then nevermind. Have a good night, over." lucas says. "Wait, wait, wait, lucas. I'm not that busy. Whats up?" i say, just wanting to talk to him. It's been too long. "Oh, okay. Me, dustin, and mike are meeting up in five minutes on mirkwood. We're going to find will. Over." lucas says. "What? Um, i'm allowed to come?" i ask, confused. I sound so desperate. I'm just sitting on my floor in my bedroom talking to a boy who completely dropped me a few months ago, AND i'm about to go hang out with him.

"No. but they'll have to be okay with it. Also, say over when you're done talking. Over." he says. "No." i say, and its silent. "Okay, i'm on my way." i say, and set the walkie talkie down. "See you soon, over." i get up and throw a coat on, before slipping my shoes on. I already know my mom wont let me go out. So i look at my window. I've never snuck out before, i don't think it'll be hard though. Steve sneaks out like, every other night. i can see his window from my window, our rooms are on either side of the house from each other. I know my mom won't notice i'm gone.

So, for the first time ever, i open my window, and swing my legs out of my window sill. The drops pretty far, but if steve can make it, so can i. I hear a cracking from across the backyard, and i look over to steves window where he's sneaking out too. "Sofia? What are you doing?" he says, "same thing you are." i say, We just stare at each other for a few seconds before he jumps out of his window and lands his jump. I think, that'll be easy. So i try it out, and the jump is much farther than i thought, because i fall. "Sofia! What the hell!" steve says, and runs towards me. "Im fine." i say, getting up, my legs feel like every bone in them just broke.

"Where are you even going? What would mom do if she found out you left?" steve says. "She won't." i say. He shakes his head and we both start walking around the house to the front yard, i go to grab my bike and he goes towards his car. "No, if you're gonna sneak out I'm at least gonna drive you." he says, and gestures towards his car. "No, I'm biking there. I have plans." i say, and start. "Sofia!" he yells, and as I'm halfway down the street he drives up next to me.

"Just- be safe, okay? Stay with whoever you're gonna be with and don't do anything stuid." he says, i agree, and he drives off. I feel like this whole idea is stupid, But we need to find will. I know he's out there somewhere. Eventually, i turn onto mirkwood. I see the boys at the end of the road but they don't see me. Lucas does, and as i get closer, so does mike and dustin.

Dustin smiles, what a sweetheart. And mike says "what are you doing here?" to which i answer "well hello to you to mike! Nice weather we're having, huh?" lucas suppresses a laugh and mike looks at him. "Did you invite her?" lucas doesn't answer, and that's enough for mike. He rolls his eyes and turns away from me, purely pissed off that i'm here.

"I'm not going home." i say sternly, ready to look for will. Dustin and lucas shrug and mike turns back towards us. "Fine." he says. "Hey, guys. You feel that? I think maybe we should go back." dustin says, suggesting there's rain. "No. We're not going back. Just stay close. Come on. Just stay on channel six. Don't do anything stupid." mike says, and him and lucas start venturing into the woods. I look at dustin and run after them. And from behind us dustin yells, "Hey, guys, wait up. Wait up!"

We look for a while. Walking through the large piles of leaves, and getting more drenched than i imagined we could. Its really uncomfortable. we're all yelling for will, looking all around for him. "I've got your X-Men 134!" dustin says, and continues with, "Guys, I really think we should turn back." to which lucas replies, "Seriously, Dustin? You wanna be a baby, then go home already!" and i decide to answer for dustin. "he's just being realistic, Lucas!" i say. "No, you're just being big sissys!" lucas says, and i roll my eyes.

"Did you ever think Will went missing because he ran into something bad?" dustin starts. "And we're going to the exact same spot where he was last seen?" he continues. "And we have no weapons or anything?" he keeps going. "Dustin, shut up." i say, getting freaked out. "I'm just saying, does that seem smart to you?" he finishes. "Shut up. Shut up. Did you guys hear that?" Mike says, and I'm really freaking out.

There's rustling coming from our right, we all yell, and turn towards where it's coming from. And it's a girl, she has short hair, and she's wearing a big t-shirt. We all just stare at her, she's dripping wet. Our flashlights shine in her eyes, and I have no idea what to do.

-

A/N

LOL SORRY I SEARCHED FOR LIKE TEN MINUTES AND COULDNT FIND MR AND MRS HARRINGTONS NAMES SO I JUST PUT STEPHEN  HAHAHAH whoops

Also just wanna rly make it clear that I am queer!!!! And I wouldn't use the f slur if I wasn't!! I don't ever say it bc I really don't enjoy saying it. But I just wrote it for the development and purpose of the storyline. So I'm sorry if it upset you, just know that I didn't write it in a way that was meant to hurt anyone, & I am gay :)

hope u enjoyed :)

plz drink some water and try to eat something even if it's small!!!

lots of love ,

emma <3

word count: 1841