“Harry!!” I screamed running through the boys’ shared house. “Harry stop!!!” I laughed as I was tackled onto the couch by the curly headed boy I had grown so fond of.

“You like it.” He laughed and tickled my ribs.

“Nooo stoooppp!!!” I laughed harder and swatted at him. He leaned back and stopped tickling me. “Emily, you are so silly.” He kissed my lips and stood up. “I have to get going. Recording. I’m sorry, Ems. I know I said I could spend today with you, but I can’t.. I am so sorry.” He reached his hand out to me and pulled me up into his chest. He hugged me and kissed my head. “Zayn is somewhere around here if you want to hang out at the house.” He flashed another smile and said he’d be back later.

I made my way to the back of the house where I knew Zayn’s room was. I knocked on the door and opened it.

“What?” He spoke from his bed where he had his laptop propped in his lap.

“Erm…Harry left, so he said you were here…I can go..” I turned to walk out but he spoke.

“Why would you want to be with me? Why wouldn’t you go with HAAARRRY.” He rolled his eyes and focused his attention on me.

“Because he’s recording today…” I looked down at my feet. I felt so awkward.

“Whatever. He’s an idiot.”

“Why?”

“He should have taken you. I would have. He’s an ass.”

“No He’s not! I distract him.”

“No you don’t. He’s just an ass. He doesn’t deserve you.”

“OH. And I guess you do?! Shut up, Zayn. Fuck you.” I turned, walked out, slamming the door behind me.

I walked down the hallway, annoyed that he was being so rude. I went to Harry’s room and laid on the bed.

“Knock, knock…” He stood in the doorway, forcing a smile.

“Zayn, go away. YOU’RE the ass.”

“I’m just….jealous…is all…” He spoke slowly.

“Excuse me?”

“I’m jealous of him, Emily. I want you. For myself.” He glided over to me and sat down next to me. I had sat up and was now cross-legged on Harry’s bed.

“What? Why?”

“Because you’re beautiful and talented and funny and sweet and intelligent…Ems you are so perfect.” He reached to tuck a strand of hair behind my ear but I pulled away.

“Zayn, I’m dating Harry. Don’t do this..” I whispered to him, afraid of what I would do if this continued.

“Emily, I know you’re scared..but we can make this work.” He smiled and lifted my chin to face him. He kissed my lips gently and looked in my eyes. I didn’t fight back. He kissed me harder and pulled me into him. He nibbled on my bottom lip and rubbed my back. I pulled away.

“Zayn, I am with Harry. We can’t…I don’t want to hurt him.” I sighed and stood up.

“Break up with him.” He stated matter-of-factually.

“It’s not that easy.”

“Emily, yes it is. Tell him you don’t want to be with him anymore.”

“And then? ‘oh by the way I want to be with Zayn and not you?!’”

“Erm….what?” Harry’s voice came from the doorway.

“Uh…Harry. Sweetie…I um…This isn’t wh-”

“What it looks like? Looks like you and Zayn are talking about getting together, right? Is that what’s going on? Fuck both of you. I don’t need this. Have fun..” He stormed out of the room blinking away tears.

“SEE ZAYN?! I TOLD YOU!” I yelled at him, chasing Harry down.

“Haz, please believe me I didn’t plan this! It was not a pl-”

“Save it.” He stopped me mid-sentence and held his hand up in front of my face. “Emily, I don’t even care. Just do what you want. I won’t hold it against you. I just can’t believe you did this. How could you?” He put his hand down and waited for an answer.

“Hazza, I’ve been…attracted to him and I’ve wanted to be with him for a long time. I never told anyone. I didn’t want to because I am happy with you. But then today he told me how he felt and he kissed me and…I want to be with him.” I sighed and began to cry. “I don’t want you to hurt though. I want you to be OK.”

“Well..whatever. Just please don’t come to the house if you don’t have to. I don’t know if I can see you two together for a while. Zayn is like my brother and I’m hurt..but I am not going to let you or this get between our friendship. We were only together for a month. At least it wasn’t a year or something.” He ran his hands through his hair; frustrated. “I’ll see you around. Or not. Whatever.” He walked away from me, through the back gate. Zayn came up behind me and wrapped his arms around me.

“I don’t think I should come over for a while.” I turned and faced him.

“I agree…back to your place then?”

“Erm...okay I guess.” He held my hand and we walked to his car. On our way out, we ran into Harry, who was on the phone with what sounded like Niall. “Yeah, man. They got together. You were right. Thanks. No. Yes. Alright. No. Tomorrow. OK. See you at dinner, mate.” He hung up and looked at my confused face.

“Niall thought you two were into each other. This was a set up. To see if it was true. And it was. I’m sorry for doing this..but I needed to know.” Harry explained as he opened his car door and slammed it shut, leaving Zayn and I in shock.

“It was a set up?” I muttered under my breath.

“I um…I guess so.” He stuttered back.

“You’re right, Zayn. He IS an ass.”