Chapter 13: And From The Waters Of Pain, A Dark Love Blooms...

As she opened her eyes and removed her hands from my mask, we both looked around. We were in an alley. It was nighttime and snowflakes were gently gliding through the air.

Gemma gasped as she started walking down the alleyway. I followed after, unable to see past her at what she was looking at. As she stopped walking, she kneeled down beside the wall of building. I saw feet sticking out, but she blocked my view of who it was.

As I walked around, I was caught by surprise. The person Gemma was kneeling beside...was herself, not too long ago for she nearly looks the same. "Th..." she started as her voice cracked. "This was me, last year around The Day Of Old Saint Nick."

Winter's bitter embrace, freezing me to my core. My stomach was cramped from starving days on end..."

"Gemma, was there no one to help you?"

"No, my mother died in labor when she had me. My father and I...we never really got along. In fact, he was cruel and abusive. Looking back now, I believe he blamed me for my mother's death."

Tears started falling slowly down Gemma's cheeks. "Unable to endure anymore abuse, I left. The girl you see here is what happened after. I couldn't go back and would have rather died in the street."

I kneeled over to join her, wiping the tears from her face. "Thank you for sharing," I spoke comfortingly. I gazed at her, taking in her beauty. She had long, luscious, silk black hair. Her eyes were like the clear blue sky, so full of innocence. With her wearing a dark dress, her rosy cheeks stood out even more.

"I want you to know something," I continued. "You are part of my family, which means two things. One, you will never want for nothing. And two, no harm will ever come to you...this I promise."

Her sorrow turned into joy, having a slight grin on her face now. "You are too kind, my lord," she appreciated. "But, you don't want me in your family. I am weak..."

"No, you are strong...like me. The only difference, right now, between you and I is that I decided to use my strength. I decided to fight back. Those who cause me pain shall receive it back tenfold."

"But I only know basic spells..."

"Then I will teach you all that I know. You don't have to live in fear anymore Gemma. Let me show you how to fight back and the world shall tremble at the very sight of you."

"Corvin," she whispered. I hadn't realize but we were leaning in very close to one another. As she placed her hands on my mask, I grabbed her by the wrists.

"I-I can't," I stated with a sigh.

"Why? I have never felt so drawn to someone."

"I know...me neither. But the wand I have, it alters my...appearance when I use it. I'm a monster underneath all of this." Gemma shook my hands off her wrists and lifted up on my mask, sliding it over my head. 

She let out a light gasp. "I told you," I said. "I am..."

"Beautiful..." She leaned in and kissed me, placing her soft lips against mine. This took me by surprise at first, but I couldn't help but to kiss her back.

As we finished kissing, the spell ended and we were back in my tent, still sitting in front of one another. We longingly looked at each other, the craving to kiss again grew immensely.

However, our moment fleeted, as Damien entered. "Dark Lord," he greeted. 

"Yes?" I asked.

He cleared his throat, seeing that he had interrupted. "I am sorry to intrude. I just wanted you to know we were about to head to East Wich."

Gemma and I stood up from the floor. "Excellent," I stated. "Just remember to keep an eye out for our Inquisitor 'friends' and Enforcers."

"Of course..." Damien left and shortly after we could hear as many footsteps receded toward the front entrance.

I looked at Gemma. "So, while some of the others are away," I started. "If you'd like, we could start your training."

"Okay," she spoke excitedly.

We stepped out into the openness of the warehouse. "We will start with offensive spells," I stated. "A piece of advice. When casting,  you must be confident in yourself...believe in what you're creating. Always speak up and enunciate the spell clearly.

At first I showed her a few attack spells with different elements, shooting fireballs, iceballs, gusts of winds, and even summoning electricity at whim. She did well for a beginner.  "Very good," I said. "Do you know how to block spells?"

She shook her head that she didn't. "That is fine," I claimed. "It's all in your stance and where your enemy's spell is going to land. For example, if a spell is directed at your upper body, you want to hold your wand out, firmly, in front of your chest."

She awkwardly did what I described. "Like this?" she asked confused.

"I will show you," I chuckled. I walked up behind her. I placed my hand on her waist at first, feeling that she had weak posture. "Bend your knees a bit, it will strength your stance. " She did as instructed.

"Very well," I complimented. I removed my hand from her waist, grabbing her wand hand from behind. I guided her hand up to the center of her chest and tilted her wand slightly, pointing the tip outward.

"Do you trust me?" I asked.

"What?" she quickly questioned back.

"Do you trust me?"

She took only a brief moment to think before speaking again. "I do...with my life."

"Good. Stay just like this." I released her hand and walked over to the opposite side of the room. Once a good distance away, I turned to face her...holding my wand in hand. "Are you ready?"

She gave a fearless nod, agreeing that she was ready. I raised my wand, aiming it at her chest. "Pacify," I cast. She bent her knees a little more, bracing for my spell. She kept her stance strong as it came into contact with the tip of her wand. 

The air blurred for a brief moment and cleared seconds after. I sheathed my wand, freeing my hands. I started to clap. "Well done," I commended. 

As our lesson came to an end, the others returned. Our attention was directed at the main entrance as they came barging in laughing and cackling. I assumed this meant everything went well.

"We come baring gifts," smiled Micah, holding her bag up. 

"And...we were able to snatch this from a barkeep," added Damien holding a newspaper. "It has two articles you may find interesting."

"You guys never disappointment," I stated charmingly. "Take everything to my tent."

As Micah and the others continued walking past me, Damien stopped and handed me the newspaper. I looked at the image of the main article. It was of a middle-aged woman posing in front of her office desk with a big, cheesy, smile. She had a caramel skin tone, long black hair, and wore an elegant dress.

"Wynonna Wiccen starts her campaign for council reelection," I read out loud. "Interesting..." I could see why Damien wanted to show me this. Wynonna Wiccen has made herself an easy first target. "You have done well bringing this to me."

"Thank you, Dark Lord. But, that is not all...open to the second page." As I did as he asked, I knew instantly what he wanted me to see.

"High Inquisitor, William Griffin, has finished assembling his task force ," I read the second article's title. "During yesterday's morning press conference, with the High Inquisitor, about the Breakout of Black Water, William Griffin announced that his task force was now complete.

Cecil Centaur and Melody Mermaid are the last to join. With help from his noble house task force, William Griffin, along with his inquisitor agents, can now focus all efforts on apprehending Corvin Phoenix and his followers..."

I had read enough. I unsheathed my wand and as I put the tip of it up to the corner of the newspaper,  it disintegrated in a burst of fire. The ash remains floated through the air. "So, war it is then..." I snarled.