The Boy On the Roof

We drove out of our gates and there he was again. He's always on his roof. The boy on the roof, I call him. He's always sad and has bruises too. I asked Mommy if she knew why and she always said, "Stay away from him, my child."

Even though I don't understand, I nod my head and agree because Mommy knows best. He always looks sad but today he looks extra sad. I figured he just had a bad day today and the bruises were just because he's really clumsy. Sometimes, at lunch time, I'll sit with my sandwich and watch him through the window. He's always stumbling about. Whenever he falls I giggle to myself, thinking 'Silly boy.'

I wanted to ask him why he was sad. Seeing him sad made me sad. I don't know why. Maybe it was because I didn't like seeing his blue eyes go dull or the frown on his red, thin lips. His blue eyes were very, very, very pretty. They remind me of the ocean. He has short, fluffy brown hair and sometimes I want to touch it to see how soft it is. For now I decided that it's softer than the cotton candy Mommy gave me once.

I think he's caught onto my staring. He's been looking at me before I even turn my head towards him recently. When we got back home, I told Mommy that I was going outside to play but to be honest I'm going to finally ask the boy why he was so sad. As I expected, he sat on his roof frowning.

"Hello?" I called out to him. He looked at me with his pretty blue eyes and smiled his pretty smile. Mommy always told me that it was nonsense and that 'butterflies can't be in my tummy because how could they even get there in the first place' but the boy on the roof always gives me butterflies. He put a finger up and I figured he was telling me to wait because a minute later he appeared around the side of the house.

"Hey!" He smiled as he sat up on his wall. I grinned at him and walked closer to the barrier separating us. He helped me up. I didn't know what to say. I didn't want to be mean because Mommy says that we should treat people with kindness.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked him. He nodded and moved closer to me. "Why are you always so sad? You have a pretty smile. You should definitely show it more."

"Really?" He asked and I nodded quickly. "Well, it's a sad story. Are you sure you want to hear it?" I love a lot of things — like cotton candy, the ocean, blue, soft things — but I think I really, really love the sound of his voice.

"Yes." I responded. He opened his mouth to speak but then I realised. I don't even know his name!

"Wait, what's your name first? And your age. And your favourite colour." I asked him excitedly. He laughed lightly.

"First, my name is Louis. I'm ten years old and my favourite colour is green like the colour of your eyes." He told me. He's only three years older than me? I thought he was at least five years older.

"Oh, I think your eyes are definitely prettier than mine. I'm Harry and I'm seven. My favourite colour is blue because that's the colour of the ocean and your eyes." I said even though he didn't ask me. I thought he should know.

"Oh, well. Thank you and don't say that. Your eyes are so cool. They remind me of the forest I used to live near." He said and I've decided he's the nicest person I've met. If he's so nice, why is he always sad?

"Thank you." I blushed. "Can you tell me the story now? I love stories."

"Okay, okay. So when I was, I think, eight." He said frowning again. I don't like it when he frowns. It's like a cloudy day at the beach. I didn't say anything though. I let him continue. "My dad started coming home drunk and he used to be very mean to me. He used to call me stuff and say rude things. He, um, also used to hurt me. That's why I have these bruises."

"Why did he do that to you? He's supposed to love you." I asked.

"I wasn't supposed to be born, I guess. He wasn't ready to be a father and I don't think he is still." He shrugged.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I hope we can be friends though. You seem really fun." I said, trying to make him happy. He finally smiled and nodded.

"Hazza, dear!" Mommy shouted, coming outside. I quickly jumped off the wall and smiled up at him.

"I'll see you around." I said and waved. He nodded and jumped off on his side.

"Bye!" He yelled after.

Word count: 838
sorry this chapter might me shitty but i had only like 30 minutes to write it and my word count was 500 but i asked if i could go over 500 and she said 800 was too much so i had to cut stuff out. it'll be short chapters and faster updates but not as short as this one. i'll start doing over 1000 words for the next chapters.

all the love,
rainbow turd x