My Favourite Secret

trigger warning: recalling of abuse

I have many secrets. I mean, who doesn't? It's normal to have secrets. Out of my multiple secrets, my favourite one just had to be Harry. It's been a year since we became friends and he's grown onto me. My dad doesn't know about him but his mum knows about us being friends. Every day when dad passes out on the couch after he's done beating me, I end up going over to the Styles' residence. Anne treats me like her own. Ever since mum died it's been hard but now Anne is the mother figure in my life.

Even though I haven't admitted it to anyone. I've grown rather fond of the little eight year old. It's his birthday today and I had planned to help Anne bake a cake for his party later but my dad wouldn't let me out. He said that I don't speak to him anymore and I've become a brat. I told him that the neighbours were expecting me but then he grabbed me. He held me against the wall and asked me whether I had been blabbing my mouth to them. When I said I hadn't, he shook his head and put me down.

"I promise! I haven't told them anything!" I had cried out. He nodded and motioned to the couch so we ended up watch t.v together for the first time in a while until we heard a knock on the door. My dad put the show on pause and went to open it.

"Um, hello?" He said. It was Anne. She smiled brightly at him.

"Hey, is Louis here?" She responded. He turned to look at me then looked back at her.

"Yeah, he's in here." He said, pointing to me. "Is there anything he can help you with?"

"He was supposed to come over earlier to help me but he didn't so I just wanted to check up on him." She smiled. He doesn't deserve to see her smiles.

"I'll send him out now, then." My dad smiled back, surprisingly. He's letting me out and smiling? Dad must be in a good mood. I've seen him like this occasionally but it didn't really last long. He ends up getting a beer from the fridge and one beer always turned into more and more and more.

He smiled at her again then closed the door and turned to me. His smile didn't drop once until he started coming closer to me. I flinched and tried to move off the couch but he grabbed me and held me in place.

"If I find out that you told them — So help you, Louis William. I'll make sure you never leave this house ever again." He snarled. I nodded quickly and he huffed and let go. "Yeah, now go." He said and sat on the couch, turning to the tv again. I got up and put my shoes on then made my way to the neighbours. The door was already opened so I walked in since this place is more of a home to me than my own.

"Louis, dear. Is that you?" Anne called out. I smiled and made my way to the kitchen. She had her back turned on me and she seemed to be mixing a cake batter.

"Yep." I answered and I don't think she noticed me before because she jumped and almost threw the batter everywhere. I smiled shyly and looked at her while she tried to calm her beating heart.

"Jesus, Lou. Tryna give me a heart attack." She said breathlessly. I giggled softly and shook my head.

"No, never." I smiled. She laughed slightly before looking down at the bowl then back up at me.

"I wanted to do the cake in Harry's favourite but it changes everyday. You spoke to him yesterday. Did he tell you?" She asked me. I nodded and grinned.

"He said it was rainbow because all the colours are equally beautiful and he didn't want the others to feel left out." I said. She raised her eyebrow and nodded.

"Seven layers? Each layer a different colour." Anne suggested.

"He'd love it." I replied.

"You helped make it, Lou. Obviously, he's going to love it." She laughed. My tummy did a weird flip at that. Harry once described it as 'butterflies' but I thought it was whack. I didn't tell him though because I could never crush his joy.

"Oh, I'm glad to hear that." I said, blushing. She smiled down at me and then shook her head, turning back to the batter.

"Haz is out in the garden if you want to keep him company." She offered.

"Okay, call me when it's time for frosting." I said before running off to Harry.

"Loubear!" He squealed and jumped up. "It's my birthday today! I'm big like you now."

Before I even had time to react, he was jumping into my arms and wrapping his legs around my waist. I went a few steps back but managed to catch him and my balance before we both fell. I never really minded the age difference. Harry makes me smile and that's all that matters.

"Ah, you're still my baby boy, right? Not too old for me now?" I smiled. He nodded rapidly and kissed my cheek.

"Never too old!" He giggled before gasping. "Blue, did mum show you what she got for me?" When I shook my head, Harry had jumped out of my hold and grabbed my hand to drag me to his room.

When we got there, I could already see it. Harry's little blue corner. He's been wanting a corner in his room painted blue with fairy lights and pegs for pictures but I didn't think he'd go through with it. This boy really is something else.

"Do you like it, Lou?" Harry asked shyly. I smiled and walked up to his shelf, grabbing his Polaroid camera that he had gotten for Christmas. I turned to see him pouting at the ground because I hadn't answered him yet so I giggled slightly and kissed his cheek, taking the picture and capturing his reaction. I waited for the picture to print out and shook it to recreate our picture.

"Where's your pens, bub?" I asked Harry. He grinned and ran to his desk, standing up on his chair to open the top cupboard. He grabbed his favourite marker — which was dark blue — and hopped off. Once he passed the marker to me, I wrote a little note at the bottom of his Polaroid.
happy birthday, my forever baby boy!
- blue x
01/02/2002
I went up to his newly lit up wall and added it right in the middle. I turned to see him with a wide smile, staring at me.

"Ready to start your collection?" I asked. He nodded excitedly and ran up to me to hug me.

"Thank you, Lou." He whispered.

"No problem, Haz." I whispered back.

word count: 1 165
Well, this chapter was lowkey shitty. Sorry sjhdjdjd also I'm not very active on Wattpad because of exams so I forget to update books. Oopsies. Spam me if you have discord or twitter to update my books. I'm always active there. So, yuh, literally just full on spam me or something. I have a terrible memory.
Discord: kit kat <3#2844
Twitter: _hxzza_

all the love,
rainbow turd x