V.

Mipha wakes up to blue skies, warm sunlight, with Link and Revali still fast asleep on either side of her. The two of them so at peace, like children again. Their defences down, completely vulnerable. Devastatingly young, a million lives depending on their very existence.

She sits upright, carefully removing Link's arms which are secured around her. The Hylian knight groans quietly, disturbed by her absence, but returns to his deep slumber. Revali doesn't stir, too exhausted. Quietly, Mipha escapes their embrace and proceeds for the exit of the cave.

It is absolutely enchanting. Mipha glances up at the sun. It's still very early, and she decides to let the other two sleep some more. Besides, she quite fancies exploring the mountains alone without Revali and Link bickering.

The snow is peculiar. It isn't cold enough in Zora's Domain for snow, and the fact Mipha has to wear a couple of layers in order to keep warm is unusual. However, the Rito appreciate comfort, so the design of her tunic makes it easy for her to adjust to. She takes a step forward, creating fresh footprints in the powdery, white blanket.

Although a lot has happened during their first day together, they managed to survive it. Remarkably, neither Link or Revali have fought, and don't seem to mind each other's presence as much. Perhaps King Rhoam's intentions are working as planned. If they are to win this war, then their differences have to be set aside. If they are to win.

As the sun warms her, Mipha roams a couple of miles from the cave. She barely sees any wildlife, and the atmosphere is so still. Beautifully quiet. In some ways, this place reminds her of home. Its tranquillity and majesty is almost overwhelming. Mesmerised, she scans the mountains which stand thousands of feet above her, reaching up high.

Maybe this is the last time she will ever witness such views. Maybe her days are numbered, so she must appreciate what she has now before it's too late.

Although the Princess has been trained in art of spearmanship, she is, like all Zora, a pacifist at heart. Facing Calamity Ganon is a necessity, but a part of her fears their attack shan't be easy. A part of her is unnerved, almost dreading the day. A part of her knows the Calamity will kill her––effortlessly.

Everything she wanted to be, everything she hoped to become, all cast aside. They were born to die. Unfortunate souls who were picked amongst many generations, and many skilled warriors. It had to be them. The prospect of enjoying the small gifts in life were taken away from them, and immediately none of them could be considered human. Toy soldiers, waiting for the inevitable to happen.

Mipha discovers a relatively large pool of water nearby. The ice must have melted from the sun, and she can only imagine how freezing the water will be. It is tempting, though. She eyes the blue surface, able to ascertain just how deep it is. Deep enough to disappear.

For the most part, she does it without thinking. Mipha neatly folds her tunic aside, comes over to the edge of the pool, and dips her foot in, disturbing the water. It is ridiculously cold. Mipha twitches a smile, enjoying the rush, and dives straight into the deep blue.

The depth is greater than she realised. The cold snaps through her body. It hurts. Her head feels as if it may burst, and she gasps from the freeze. It feels perfect. Just as she wanted. To feel the cold bite at her, remind her of her mortality; that if she isn't careful, she could die down here.

Nobody would ever know. She would simply vanish.

Mipha turns over, gazing up at the surface of the water. The sunlight beams through, enchanting and glorious. Then, abruptly, she wonders whether her little brother would remember her. If she were to die soon, would he know of her? Would he be able to put a face to her name? Or, would he simply have to rely on what her father perceives her as?