The Convincing

Arin

"Dad what's the matter?" I asked, watching my dad standing in front of me, fuming. He was always the calm figure for me but today he'd beg to differ. He wasn't behaving normal either. Pacing in his room, he remained silent with soft grunts emerging at times.

Upon being informed by the help that he wanted to talk to me, I assumed that it was due to his busy schedule that I was summoned. With me having moved into the Oswald mansion, dad could visit me a lot more than when I stayed in my previous matchbox apartment. So it was strange when he couldn't climb a few flights of stairs to talk. But again, I wasn't handing the Oswald business to know, how precious every moment was. Hence I adhered to his wish.

With a non-responsive attitude, dad walked around some more while my gaze followed his pace around the room. The beige coloured room study of his only had mahogany furniture with a burgundy touch to it. In contrast to the pale of the wallpaint, the dark of furniture hit the right notes. Dad's study balanced simplicity and sophistication. 

It was only when Roger knocked at the paneled door and entered that I realized the gravity of the situation. Placing himself on the chair across his intrinsically carved desk, dad crossed his legs while Roger stood, head hung like a student receiving detention.

His expressions were blank and he didn't even take a seat. It was all the more reason for me to worry. My mouth soured and sweat beard appeared on the back of my neck, all awaiting the moment one of them cracked. I always assumed dad liked Roger. But my assumtion was put to a backburner when dad peered at my fake fiancé. 

With a command in his voice, dad spoke sternly. "You think this is some kind of a joke? Marrying my daughter?"

My eyes widened upon realization, he had somehow come to the know of our ruse. Did Roger tell him? We decided not to, until everything was perfected enough to be revealed. God! we didn't go over our stories. Hell, we didn't even have a story to go over.

"May I?" Roger gestured to the chair and dad nodded. I, on the other hand straightened, trying to diffuse the situation but Roger held my hand. "Let me babydoll.."

Crap. Why was he calling me that?

Posing a statue, I let Roger dive us both to the depths of hell with his uncoordinated story.

Smiling, he began the play of the piper. "I know how it would be looking. First Stella and now your daughter.." Dad bobbed his head once. Roger continued. "I have to tell you that with Stella it was only business. We dated but the arrangement we had was purely for our companies." Dad posed his 'not going to speak', crossing his arms. "Malcom knows. He was asked to help too for you know.. Brandon."

A small crack in dad's expression when he heard Brandon's name, was the confirmation that he deeply resonated with Roger but was too adamant to simply agree. After all, it was his daughter this time on the fiancé line and not his niece.

Roger's eyes traveled to me. I felt a jolt of tremor in my chest when he smiled.

"But with Arin.." rising from his chair, Roger coiled his hand into mine. Tingling sensation rose in my body and I daydreamed of night we kissed. Slapping myself back to realist, I focused on his story. It was too good a dramatic rendition to miss. When I looked at Roger, his expressions softened. Was he genuinely stating his feelings? "Arin wasn't just my assistant." He cleared his throat. "She was the only one who wasn't scared to stand up to me. One who made me realize that this wasn't just a game.."

Dad looked at me and I nodded. Watching me for truth, his gaze shifted back to Roger who continued. "And I adored her ways. I liked her even before I knew who she was.." He let out a soft cough as if the next word pricked his throat. "Oswald...and she was the one who suggested about the plan for merger."