1

Another day, another Starbucks.

Sunlight filtering through windowpanes over a scuffed linoleum floor. The light buzz of conversation, accompanied by mellow music playing through the overhead speakers. The tantalizing aroma of fresh espresso overcoming your senses.

And you, sitting adjacent to the front counter, where you purchased your first cold brew. It was obviously loaded with your favorite sugary syrups — it was the only way to make coffee taste good.

Your best friend sat across the table, arguing her stance on why 'there' is the most evil word in the world. You were listening intently, picking at a mysterious stain on your work uniform.

You had to admit that every once in a while, your job would overtake your life. It was easy, honestly, having nothing else to distract you. There was no school or outside task to remind you of the world outside of your job. It didn't help that those shifty managers always guilted you into overtime. Luckily, you had a few close friends who were always happy to bring you back to reality.

It was the first lunch break you spent outside of the break room in a long time. You almost weren't sure what to do with yourself.

You took a sip of your cold brew while your friend continued to chatter on. You were so occupied in conversation, you didn't even notice when a new customer step up to the counter, just behind you. But when he spoke, your attention was apprehended.

"I'll have a flat white with an extra shot, please." Every hair stood up on the back of your neck. It took everything in you not to whirl around in your chair and gape at the stranger. Even your best friend, who had been talking for a solid five minutes straight, tripped over her words.

Level, rich, and even. His words fell on your ears like thunder unaccompanied by rain. Like the calm before a storm.

You dared to peer over your shoulder, watching a large hand push a smoothed ten dollar bill across the counter. You saw chipped black nail polish, and veins bulging across the skin. You swallowed hard.

He uttered a thank you once his order was complete, and you tensed when he strolled past your table. On his way to find a comfortable seat of his own.

Your friend leaned forward with more speed than you could process. Her face was suddenly inches away. She kept her voice low, all the while wearing a shit-eating grin.

"I now know Batman's favorite Starbucks drink."

"Don't be mean," you swatted her away. Your eyes found their way back to the stranger. "Batman sounds way more douchey."

You watched as he slid into a chair, just a few tables down. His back was turned, facing away from you. You couldn't quite tell what he looked like. Your friend slumped back into her own chair. She trailed back to where he was sitting, as well.

"He's built like Batman, too." She mused.

You swatted at her again, urging her to keep a lower tone. She was never one to keep her thoughts to herself, that much was certain. She was blunt and honest, which were your favorite traits in her.

She deflected your hand, however, and continued to stare. He had since pulled out a laptop, open on some sort of program.

"Looks like he's into Among Us," she continued to think aloud. She finally turned back to face you. "That's that game I've been telling you about. I've been dying to play it. We need to get some people together and make a night out of it!"