Onward To The Sacred Items CH 16

Now, Seraphina put the bangle on the top of Cassia's desk in the middle of the night. She felt deeper discomfort with the amount of paperwork she would have to fill out and the inevitable discussion about tonight with her boss.  Zarachiel could be very understanding.

She sighed quietly. The three warriors were still diligently watching over Cassia.

"How is she?"

"Cassia is having nightmares; I've cast a spell for sweet dreams. I would also arrange, as soon as possible for her to see a therapist. I may not know her personally but I've read her file. She might go over the edge after this." Melodia replied. Seraphina nodded. She raked a hand through her hair.

"How did it come to this?"

"Unfortunately, it's the only night both you and Alistair were off duty, and we placed some trust in Nathaniel. It seems that was misplaced, and he still is no better than a child." Aria agreed.

"I have learned even more from tonight about how to handle these situations. But I think a backup guardian angel will be necessary if the main is off duty. What do you guys think?"

"We are not all-seeing, so I think that's a good idea, especially for non-magical humans," Terri replied.

"Yeah, although there is no training for this kind of situation... among regular guardian angels."Aria threw her two cents in.

"I would have to set up training and a team to teach and handle all of these things." Seraphina mused. "Thank you again for your help, all of it." She smiled and left for Zarachi's office.

*

In heaven, Seraphina stood to attention while Zarachiel sat down in his comfy office chair. He gestured for her to sit and she did so.

"I hear you." He stopped briefly; he acknowledged Nathaniel as not only his adoptive son but also his employee. "Our subordinate nearly assaulted your charge and what's worse is that they have had previous issues from another lifetime."

"Yes, he has been dealt with and constrained to a bracelet, but it doesn't change the fact that we weren't prepared for something like this to happen."

"You handled it well, all things considered."

"Thank you, sir." He noted the dark bags that appeared on her eyes and motioned for her to come over. 

"Sir?"

"Shh, just let me take care of you for a second."  He whispered gently. She nervously did so, as she had never been so close to her commander. "Can I touch you for a second?" He asked politely, and she nodded. Zarachiel pulled her closer and gently put his fingers just under her eyes. A warm feeling followed and the exhaustion lifted from her slightly. Once he was done, he gave her a rare smile.

"Sir?" She asked curiously. 

"Yes?" He inclined his head, also curious. 

"Why?"

"You are strong and a fairly independent angel Seraphina, and not only do you manage the guardian angels, I imagine you are extremely tired from the personal events of tonight. I wanted to alleviate some of your pain."

"I see." She nodded and paused, thinking deeply.

"I have an idea for how to improve our response in this situation if a guardian is off duty. "

"I understand. Is this how this issue arose?"

"Yes, in all of history, I have never taken a day off and this has been the only time. Aria and Terri recommended that we have reserve angels personally trained to take over. I would like to plan out a scheme and find a capable teacher to oversee the rest as a practical course. Human police have an excellent scheme to deal with accidents. Also, we should teach all guardian angels the consequences and who to contact if something happens to their charges, either by a human or, in the rare case, another angel."