Rules and Rulers

Every time I saw the dining hall it took my breath away, and I saw it three times a day. It was like a palace, so long and wide that the entire Pruitt student body could have fit inside. The interior was a study in beige and brown, all wood and stone. Aside from the windows of course, which were sprawling works of stained glass. From the ceiling sparkling chandeliers hung, light reflected off them and down onto all the students. The dining tables were long. Each one was big enough for maybe fifteen students.

Normally I sat at a table with outcasts. They weren't hard to find. Kids would sit spaced out along the table benches, with their heads down, focused on books or phones. As I carried my tray, laden with salmon, through the room I felt the pull towards those familiar safe havens. I stayed on target though, my eyes narrowed.

Most of the varsity lacrosse girls, the upperclassmen at least, all sat together. All of them were Pruitt pretty, with clean, straight, hair and high, tinkling, laughs that put me on edge. Despite that, I didn't stray from my path. I made straight for the side of the table where Heather sat at her place next to Talia Humphrey, her second in command.

As I neared my heart began to beat faster. I curled my shoulders in, trying to look smaller, less threatening. My tray shook in my hands and I clenched them into fists to keep it from dropping. I widened my eyes like I was lost, hoping for an innocent look.

Every head turned towards me when I slid on to the end of Heather's bench. Their eyes stayed fixed on mine. The message in each of them was clear. As clear as if they'd screamed it in my face. You don't belong here. I shook off the numb sadness that clawed at my chest. "Hey," It came out in a squeak. I tried it again. "Hey." That was better. Sure sounding, but not confrontational. At least, I hoped not. "Sorry, I don't wanna like bother you or anything. I'm just super freaked out." I turned to Heather, recognizing her authority. She alone would decide whether or not I could stay. "It's just... This guy keeps following me. He won't leave me alone."

She had on her practiced smile, but underneath it, in the creases and folds of her facade, I saw interest. It was genuine. "What?" She asked. Her voice was icy, still filled with condescension.

"That guy," I said, pointing. Fletcher was almost overdoing it. He sat alone at a table, facing me. One leg was draped over the other, and he leaned his head against his arm. His whole pose was a practiced nonchalance. His blazer lay draped on the bench next to him. His tie was loose, thrown over one shoulder. He stared at me like I was the only one in the room. There was a fire in his dark eyes. They were the only thing about him that didn't look calm.

"Oh. My. God." The words came from Maggie Fortworth. She was a junior, like me. She reminded me of a minnie heather, down her diamond earrings, and her red lipstick. The awe in her face was replaced with a kind of fear as she realized she'd spoken aloud. I didn't blame her, she'd spoken without her queen's permission. Luckily for her, Heather responded almost as quickly.

"No way!" She was pushing toward me, leaning forward so she could speak across Talia. "That's Fletcher Highgaurd."

"He's actually insane." Talia amended. She was totally expressionless, staring across the table, not looking at me. It was almost funny, how good she was at not caring.

"Oh, wow." I gave a little shiver, feeling sick. "That's scary."

Heather put a hand on my shoulder like she was confiding in me. "He almost got sent to jail last year." She smiled. "Don't worry..."

Then, she stood. Heather at her full height was enough to take anyone's breath away. Her hips swayed as she made for Fletcher's table. Her heels clacked against the tile floor. He looked up at her approach. His eyebrows pulled together like he was actually a little afraid. I almost felt bad.