1.4~ I Give Hermes Some Waffles

After Percy and the others had left camp, everyone was extremely worried. Chiron had sent a hardly trained 12-year-old child of the Big Three out into the world on the most dangerous quest there had been in a very long time. The only thing standing between war and peace was a prepubescent boy. We were really in it now.

I could hardly pay attention to any of my lessons. All I could think of was the probably inevitable war between the Gods. I told myself not to worry, and to just focus on my courses. I finally came around by volleyball, and won our team quite a few points. I got reprimanded a lot during tracking skills, but only because I kept spacing out and ignoring my surroundings. However, as we moved from course to course to meal etc, I tried to catch up to Connor every time. He was usually flirting with another girl. This made me feel weird, a way I couldn't explain. But I ignored it. I'd gotten pretty good at telling the two apart. Connor walked with more of a swagger and had more of a player attitude. Travis was taller, and clearly only flirted with girls he actually liked. This was also upsetting to me, but again, I couldn't place quite why. It's not like I liked either of them. Or even tolerated them. But still, I longed for another conversation. I was sure that it was my fault that he wouldn't talk to me anymore. He actually continued to ignore me, and had also stopped pranking me. I was tempted to ask Travis, but we weren't close enough and I was sure that he would tell Connor right away. I kept it to myself. Not even my siblings could know.

•••

The next morning at breakfast, I sat silently, lost in thought. I was brought back when I heard my name being whispered.
"Psst! Hey, Callaghan!" I turned to see Connor leaning from his picnic table to mine.
"What?" I mouthed back, afraid to call out anything.
"Talk to me before flying lessons!" He whisper-yelled back and winked at me. My heart fluttered.

I was falling for Connor Stoll.

No, I wasn't. Impossible. We were friends. Kind of. I cursed myself and decided not to talk to him. This wouldn't end well for anyone.

•••

On the way to Pegasus Riding, I walked quickly, ahead of the group. Tragically for me, Connor caught up with me. Those damn Hermes kids, too fast for my liking.
"Oh. Hey, Connor." I liked the way his name sounded coming out of my mouth. Shit. No, I didn't.
"Are you avoiding me? Is it something I did, or-" He had a look of genuine concern painted across his freckled face.
"No, no. I'm just having a weird day and I'm trying to figure some things out." I was surpised that I was being honest with him. I should've just said 'yes'. Or better yet, walked away. I didn't know why I was acting so cold.
"Oh." He pondered this for a second. "Is there anything I can do to help?" I smiled and shook my head.
"Is that all you wanted to talk about?"
He faltered, hestitating. He eventually went with, "um, yeah. Good luck with Pegasus Riding."
I needed the luck. I did manage to get off the ground without falling. That was about it, the rest turned out terribly. My pegasus wasn't a huge fan of me. He never had been, but he didn't have to be so rude about it.

Finally the day was over, and we'd just finished campfire when I was hit with the dreadful realization that we'd been labeled with messiest cabin that morning. That meant last showers. Naturally, I had to 'set a good example' so I waited until everyone else was all finished before Katie and I headed to the bathrooms and took our showers. The water was cold, and it was getting darker and darked outside. Katie took her sweet time, doing her nightly skincare routine and things like that. I washed my face, and every now and then I would moisturize with some of Katie's stuff but usually skincare and lotion and perfume wasn't my thing. I did like makeup, though.
We ran back to the cabin, as it was well after dark and definitely past curfew. We slid into the cabin and shut the door behind us, locking it.
"Alright guys, lights out. I don't care if you talk but don't be too loud." Katie said, crawling into bed. I was about to get into mine, but I remembered that Anna, a younger girl of maybe 13 years old had asked to talk to me. I sat down on her bed.
"What was it that you wanted to talk about earlier?"
"Oh!" She cried out, but suddenly dropped her voice. "I know that you've had boyfriends in the past and I want your advice."
I suppressed a groan. I hated giving advice. "With what?" I smiled at her, not wanting to be rude.
"I have a crush," She looked down sheepishly.
"On who?" I leaned forward, suddenly intruiged.
"I'll tell you, but you have to tell me yours because I'm gonna tell you if we don't trade."
"Anna," I started. I wasn't about to take part in this middle school crap. "I don't have one." I lied.
"Yes, you do!" She insisted. "Okay, okay, fine. I'll go first. Connor."
My heart stopped.
"Connor Stoll?" I whispered, scooting forward towards her. "As in, son of Hermes?"
She nodded, grinning. "Okay, your turn."
"I already told you. I don't have one." Now I couldn't tell her, even if I did have one. Which I did not. Especially not one relating to any Hermes kid.
"Maddy," She warned. I figured that I'd have to make one up, or she'd start guessing and I'd have no choice but to tell her. My poker face wasn't very good at all.
"Um," I started, my brain flipping at the speed of light through the faces of every guy at camp. No face stood out except the elfish features and the crooked grin of-
No. I banished the thoughts and picked a random name.
"Samuel. He goes to my school back in Vermont. Samuel... Graham."
"Sam Graham?" She raised an eyebrow.
"Yes..." I slowly nodded. "Bet his parents thought that one was funny." I flashed a quick smile and left as fast as I could to get back in my own bed. Great save, Mads. Now you've really done it.

•••

Athena cabin was doing inspections that morning, and marked us off well. We certainly weren't doing well, but we were better than the previous day.
At breakfast, I prayed not only to my mother, but to Hermes as well. I'm not sure what compelled me to do so, but I did, and Hermes got some waffles. I sent a few glances to the Hermes table, but only made contact with Travis. Of course now he would tell his brother that I was looking at him. I decided to completely forget about the Hermes cabin and focus entirely on bettering my sword and shield skills. I'd spend my morning free time practicing, and my afternoon free time climbing. I'd start tomorrow.
Looking over at Anna, I couldn't believe how I hadn't noticed before. She may as well have been drooling over him. I smiled at their awkward eye contact. He was 16, she was 13, but better her than me, I supposed.

•••

lowkey um getting worse and worse because my creative battery is completely drained but uh whatever im gonna keep pushing through and see what happens 😀