Chapter 5

***I am now officially of the opinion that every author needs a book they can update whenever they want and not have a huge plan for (of course, over the past few days I've developed a big plot for this, but whatever). This book is what I throw myself at when I'm fed up with homework/regular work or when I just need a break.

Also, I've created a Youtube channel with the playlists for my books - I don't know if there's any interest in that, but I thought I'd let you know it exists <3

Also, this book is ranked 10 in "whyamIwritingthis", and I don't know whether I should be proud or not. It's kind of sad, yet kind of amusing.***

***(Nya's POV)***

Jay runs a hand through his hair. "It's...not the authorities. It's my parents."

"Your parents?" I frown. "I...should probably leave." The less people who know me, the better.

"No, no, no," he rushes to say. "It's okay, Nya. Um, I'll just see what they're here for, and then I'm sure they'll be on their way."

"I don't want to get in the way of their visit." I collect myself off the sofa.

"Oh, no! Please don't go." His voice is...pleading.

I furrow my forehead. Why does he sound so desperate? Does he want me to confess my wrongs that badly? But this is starting to seem less and less like an interrogation, and more and more like...like spending time with a friend. If he's trying to squeeze information out of me, he's being really smooth about it.

"Just...let me see what my parents are here for, okay? Don't go anywhere." He shoots me a sheepish smile, then opens the door.

"Jay!" exclaims an older woman's voice. "Are you ready to go, honey?" She steps inside, wrapping him in a huge hug.

"Ready to go...where?" he asks, gingerly hugging her back.

"On our haunted house sightseeing trip, of course," his father replies, stepping inside. He looks just as old as Jay's mom, if not a little older. They're both probably in their sixties.

"'Haunted house sightseeing'?" Jay laughs nervously. "I...had thought that trip was planned for later this month. I, uh, am a little occupied today."

"Oh, nonsense," his mother waves him off. She bustles past him into the kitchenette.

Jay chases after her. "Uh, mom, I kind of have company right now, so maybe we could reschedule?"

"Company?" she frowns. She looks around, then beams with delight when she sees me.

Oh, dear. I should've left while I still could.

"Jay, honey, is this your girlfriend you've been telling us about?" she gasps.

Girlfriend? Jay has a...girlfriend?

Why does that disappoint me?

"Oh, um..." Jay crosses the room to where I am. "Yes?" he smiles awkwardly.

Wait.

I'm not Jay's girlfriend.

"Listen," he goes on, "Nya here forgot, um, something in her car outside. We're going to – um – going to go grab that something really quick, okay? Mom, dad...just make yourselves comfortable."

"Thanks, honey." His mother approaches him, pinching his cheek, and he turns bright red.

Then, she turns to me and...engulfs me in one of those giant hugs she gave Jay earlier.