CHAPTER 1

Y/N MONTEZ, A SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD JUNIOR AT EAST HIGH, sat at her desk in the back, bored. She taps her nails against her desk as she stares at the clock behind Ms.Darbus. Every minute feels like an hour as the minute hand moves bit by bit towards the big black number ten on the face of the clock.

"You must remember young thespians." Ms. Darbus declares, enthusiastically as half her class was half asleep. "Learning is never seasonal. So do allow the shimmering lights of summer to refresh and illuminate your fertile young minds."

At the word summer, the class wakes out their half asleep state of mind, confused.

"What's she talking about?" Chad whispers to Taylor who shrugs in reply.

"The future greets you with its magic mirror, reflecting each golden moment, each emboldened choice."

Troy turns to look over his shoulder at Y/N. She smiles at him slightly causing Troy to smile back at her before turning around again. Tuning back into Ms. Darbus' lecture, Troy leans back in his seat and turns his head slightly to talk to Chad, who is sat behind him.

"Dude, Ms. Darbus has snapped her cap."

"Dude," Chad laughs slightly, "you're actually listening."

The class groans in boredom as Ms. Darbus takes a break on her lecture. A hand raises sheepishly in the air catching Ms. Darbus' attention.

"Yes, Jason?"

"So, what was your favorite summer memory, Ms. Darbus?" The class groans causing Jason to look around him confused. "What?"

"Summers have passed fleetingly since I was your age." Ms. Darbus starts as the second clicks closer and closer towards the twelve to allow the minute hand to finally fall on the ten. "But I remember each with poignant clarity."

"Summer." Chad whispers behind Troy, a smile on his face.

"Summer." Martha now joins in as the second hand ticks it way closer to the twelve.

"Summer."

"Summer." Kelsey chimes in.

"Summer." Y/N says smiling when Troy turns to look at her.

"Summer."

"Summer."

Summer." The class chants as the second hand passes the eleven, feeling the excitement in their bones.

"Summer."

"Summer!"

"Summer!"

"Summer!" The students shout as the bell rings. The class cheers and throws their papers up in the air. The papers soar around the classroom as the students stand up from their chairs. Chad walks up to Ms. Darbus, spinning her around before high-fiving her.

"What time is it?
Summertime
It's our vacation
What time is it?
Party time
That's right, say it loud
What time is it?
Time of our lives, anticipation
What time is it?
Summertime
School's out, scream and shout." The class sings as Y/N sits on top of her desk.

"Finally summer's here
Good to be chillin' out
I'm off the clock, the pressure's off
Now my girl's what it's all about." Troy sings before turning to face Y/N, who smiles at him.

"Ready for some sunshine
For my heart to take a chance
I'm here to stay, not moving away
Ready for a summer romance."  Troy grabs Y/N's waist and lifts her off her desk causing her to laugh.