CHAPTER 9

TROY STARES AT HIS BEDROOM CEILING, laying on his bed, throwing a catching a basketball in his hands.

"You're usually taking these right off the grill." Mr. Bolton states, gesturing to the plate of steaks in his hands.

Troy shrugs, not looking at his dad. "Maybe I've been eating too much at the club."

"You've barely been out of this room the last three or four days. Let's call the guys, get a game going."

"They wouldn't come even if I called." Troy mumbles.

"I find that hard to believe."

"Dad," Troy starts catching the ball in his hands, setting it beside him. "Do I seem different to you this summer?"

"You dress a lot better, that's for sure."

"Oh, man, I'm serious." Troy sighs, sitting up in his bed, leaning against his bed frame. "Maybe my friends are right, maybe I'm turning into a jerk with new shoes."

"New shoes, not a new kid. Where's this coming from?" Mr. Bolton asks.

"I've been so focused on my future. I mean, Y/N quit. Chad won't talk to me." Troy replies, shaking his head. "I don't see the Wildcats running around here."

"Is this about going after what you want?"

"Yeah, Dad. The scholarship's important. I get it." Troy shrugs, nodding his head.

"Hey, hey. Look, it's only a big deal if it makes sense to you." Mr. Bolton says, sitting on Troy's bed. Troy rolls over, his back facing his dad.

"I don't even know who I am any more."

"You know what?" Mr. Bolton grabs a picture frame off one of Troy's bedside tables, holding out to him. Troy looks at his 16 year old self, proudly wearing his wildcat jersey. The picture was taken right after Troy was made captain of the varsity basketball team. "I've known this kid for a long, long time. And I got a lot of faith in him. He looks a lot like you. I'm absolutely sure he's going to figure out the right thing to do. It's so good. I cannot wait."

Troy stays silent as his dad walks out the room. He looks at the picture of Y/N and him from prom last year. Y/N was dressed in a blue dress, her pulled back into a fancy bun, Troy wearing a black suit with a tie matching Y/N's dress. Y/N's faces was smiles at camera while Troy was looking down at Y/N, a soft expression on his face.

..................................................

The next morning, day of the talent show, Troy walks into the kitchen. As he walks in, it goes quiet as Zeke hands Troy his breakfast without a word. Troy sighs before walking to the table in the middle of the kitchen, finding Chad and Kelsey there, talking.

"Yeah, I'm eating so much breakfast, I won't be able to eat my dinner at night." Chad was saying as Troy approached them.

"Oh, yeah. It's okay, Ryan's gonna help."

"I don't know." Chad shakes his head, stopping when he notices Troy sitting down in front of them.

"We'll get it eventually."