Part 5

I glanced at the clock – it was way too early and I didn't care. I had to go to La Push now. I had to see Jacob so he could tell me that I hadn't lost my mind all together. I pulled on the first clean clothes I could find, not bothering to be sure they matched and took the stairs two at a time. I almost ran into Charlie as I skidded into the hallway, headed for the door. "Where are you doing?" he asked, as surprised to see me as I was to see him.

"Do you know what time it is?" he asked.

"Yeah. But I have to see Jacob." I huffed. "I thought the thing with Sam-. "" That doesn't matter, I have to talk to him right now. I cut him off. "It's pretty early." He frowned when my expression didn't change. "Don't you want breakfast? He asked. "not hungry." The words flew from my lips. Charlie frowned. "straight to Jacob's house, right? No stopping on the way?"

"where would I stop?" my words were running together in my hurry. "I don't know." He admitted. "it's just...well, there's been another attack – the wolves again. It was really close to the resort by the hot springs – there's a witness this time. The victim was only a dozen yards from the road when he disappeared. His wife saw a huge gray wolf just a few minutes later, while she was searching for him, and ran for help." My stomach dropped like I hit a corkscrew on a roller coaster. "a wolf attacked him?"

That can't be right if Jake's a Werewolf that means that he's been killing people but Jake's harmless, he wouldn't hurt anyone. "there's no sigh of him – just a little bit of blood again." Charlie's face was pained. "the rangers are going out armed, taking armed volunteers." He shook his head. "when people get to excited, accidents happen..."

"They're going to shoot the Wolves?" my voice shoots though three octaves. "what else can we do? What's wrong?" he asked, his tense eyes studding my face. I feel faint, I must be whiter than usual. "you aren't turning tree – hugger on me, are you?" I couldn't answer. I'd forgotten about the other Wolves, what if they are the killers? No, they can't be Jacob had said that they called themselves protectors, that they protected the Tribe. So, they can't be the one's killing all of the people out there.

"look, Honey, don't let this scar you. Just stay in town or the highway – no stops – okay? He asked. "Okay." I repeated in a weak voice. "I've got to go." Charlie told me. "Dad please be careful." Charlie smiled. "Always have been kid." He turned to the door and held it open. "Are you going?" he asked. "Maybe I should have breakfast first." Charlie nodded and left, shutting the door behind him.

I quietly and quickly ate a pack of top-tarts. Thinking about who is making people disappear because I know it's not the Wolves, they are the protectors they wouldn't harm anyone, they will only protect them. The only other super natural beings are Vampires so there has to be a Vampire doing this. I could only think of one Vampire that would do this. Victoria. Jacob is my best friend, and I must protect him.