Goodbyes

"We don't want you to leave Sophie!" Biana cried when all of her friends gathered at the panakes tree. Keefe wasn't able to make it because he had to finish packing, but the rest of her friends gathered in a circle while she explained the mission. Mr. Forkle had already taken her things to her new apartment in Paris. Sophie wasn't allowed to say where she would be or much of what she would be doing, but she was allowed to say goodbye.

"I don't want to go either, but I would rather spend part of my life in the Forbidden Cities finishing the Neverseen, then having them come back and destroy us." Sophie said.

"When are you coming back?" Fitz croaked. Sophie's heart felt crushed when she said. "In a year or more." She hated saying goodbye so quickly, but she needed to start right away. She gave everyone a big hug each, but made Dex the biggest hug, telling him she'll secretly use her imparter to call. Then she transmitted to Fitz that she will talk telepathically every once in a while. Biana needed a tissue, but everyone else seemed sad but alright.

"I'll see you in a year" Sophie called as she light leaped her way to the Shores of Solace.

-

Sophie knocked on the glass door, when Lord Cassius opened the door with a slight nod. He then invited her inside, without speaking yet, and held her a note. He put his finger against his lips in a shushing motion, before letting go of it. Sophie opened the note reading "Keefe is in his room packing. However, he put sensors all around the house that sprayed sinus infecting steam at the slightest word. He needed space before leaving, he'll be down soon."

Not even a minute later Keefe came downstairs with all of his things tucked away in multiple bags. He looked haggard, as if he hadn't slept or changed clothes in a week. His hair was completely flat and there were huge purple circles beneath his eyes. When he looked up he was shocked to see Sophie. He quickly turned off a sensor by the stairs.

"Hey Sophie, I thought you were at Havenfield." He breathed.

"Can we talk in your room?" Sophie asked when she saw Keefe's father watching closely. They walked to his room in silence and sat on his bed. Ro was in the hallway because Keefe asked for privacy. "So what do you want to talk about?" he asked.

"I wanted to know if you're ready, and if you needed anything." Sophie replied. She knew Keefe needed some comfort before going, because he didn't have a chance to say goodbye to anyone. "I finished packing, but it doesn't feel real. I look around my room, still expecting for it to be full of my drawings and items, but they are all shoved in bags." he admitted. He stared at Sophie, hoping her comfort can work.

"I guess that's how it's supposed to be." She said, "We aren't supposed to be comfortable with change until it happens, and we can choose before whether to try and make it a good change, or if we think we'll regret it. But once it does happen, we can make the most of it, and that's when we can be comfortable with it. Does that make sense?" She asked.

(keefe's POV)

It hit me hard, I couldn't control my emotions as I started to cry. I held onto Sophie as much as I could as I soaked her tunic with my tears. She embraced me so gently, and let me let my emotions onto her, until I couldn't cry anymore. I hung onto her even after I stopped crying, because I still needed it. I cared for Sophie so much, and wouldn't want to be with anybody else for the next year.

(3rd POV)

Keefe and Sophie were still embraced by each other when the door knocked. Ro shouted that Mr. Forkle was there and they held hands when Ro let him in. Mr. Forkle took one look at the two, noticing their puffy eyes and shaking hands when he said, "I guess it's time to leave." with those words Sophie and Keefe walked downstairs, still holding hands and sat on the sofa. Mr. Forkle then removed their pendastry necklaces, and gave Sophie a blue light leaping crystal. Keefe gave his father a quick nod and handshake, then gave Mr. Forkle a hug. Sophie joined in a moment later. After the hug, Sophie and Keefe loaded his bags, and leapt to their new apartment.