Chapter 4

My job at the library wasn’t a job really, it was more of a volunteer gig. The truth is that I’m not really a librarian, I am a librarian-in-training. My passion is archives; I want to be one of those people with white cotton gloves putting things away in boxes to be categorized and preserved for the research of fewer generations. But unfortunately, in this neck of the woods there aren’t many job possibilities in the Hamptons. I plan of course, to probably move to Manhattan in the future, where the abundance of cultural institutions, museums and historical societies mean that the job market would be better for me. 

For now though, until I figured out a final internship where I could complete my research project, I was stuck in the Hamptons. I spent most of my days volunteering at my local public library, shelving books, helping the children’s librarian with the crafts during storytime or boxing up donated books.

The night after the Regatta, Jane had come along to help me out at the library. It was a big project, we were boxing up the donated books to be sold at a book sale later in the summer, where the profits would go to buy new computers for the library. Jane was the only one of my sister’s who would dedicate her time to help me, Lydia was “allergic” to the library, and Mary stated that if she had to go to a library, she would prefer a superior one, such as the one at Hampton University.

We had been working for a good hour, when Jane’s phone buzzed and she picked it up immediately, read her message, and typed back, all with a huge grin on her face.

“Texting you already!” I teased. “That has to be some kind of record. It’s only been mere hours since you guys saw each other last.”

“Well,” Jane shrugged. “He texted me a few times last night. And this morning too.”

“Jane!” I was so happy to see her happy, and to see the pink glow in her cheeks. Jane was shy, and my mother always pushing guys at her seemed to make her uncomfortable, but for once, something good seemed to be coming out of it. “That is so serious.”

“I know.” Jane said. “It’s weird, though, because we just met, but it feels like....well, kind of like it’s meant to be, but that is a bit scary.”

“Only because Mother has been such a weirdo about this whole thing.” I picked up another stack of books and placed them in the box. “If you really like him though....”

“I think I do.” Jane said. “I know I do, but it is still super strange.”

“Then take it easy.” I smiled at her. “Just take it slow and see where this thing takes you.”

“I will.” Jane said. “His sisters were super nice, too. Caroline even invited me to brunch next Sunday.”

“Hmmmmm....” I mused, while taping together the full box of books.

“What?” Jane asked. “You don’t like her? She was perfectly nice to you last night at the Regatta. And she already texted me this morning and invited me to brunch.”

“Perfectly nice.” I said. “Perfectly perfect. Something about her rubs me the wrong way. I mean, the way she acted that night at Pippa’s.” I had told Jane the story of Caroline and Lou coming into the store that night I folded scarves and how weird it was.

“Well, of course she wouldn’t recognize you,” Jane said. “You were all done up to the nines at the Regatta. And plus you said you just sat there and gaped at her like a total bizarro. She didn’t want to remember your face, most likely, and I couldn’t blame her for that.”

“Just, be careful with that one.” I said.

“I will.” Jane said.

When our stint was done at the library, Jane dropped me off at Club. I wanted to talk to Charlie about the night before, and I knew I would get a ride home from my mother, who always met Mrs. Lucas and the other ladies for their book club at this hour. Jane went off to help Pippa do a window display for the new bikini collection she ordered for the store. Jane had a real talent for dressing windows, and she actually really loved to do them.