Chapter 15 - The Precise Art Of Bad Decisions

Nadia had called us downstairs to the living room, where we all sat in the seating/parlour area, except for Nadia, who stood at the end of the coffee table, a decorative wooden box on the table in front of her. I was sitting next to Nicole, still wiping tears from my eyes, and River and Theo were across the table from us, Theo standing in the corner, his leg propped up against the wall.

"What's the box for? It seems a little...ominous, what with the lock and all." Theo drawled. I looked closer at the box, frowning. It looked like a normal box void of pattern except for raised, intricate golden swirls near the rim. I tried to focus on the centre, and saw a relatively small, slightly rusted gold lock. That same feeling of unease went through me, but, like I always did, I ignored it. It's Nadia's box, for god's sake. Nadia is the least likely person to plot any evil or cunning scheme. Nadia glanced down at the box, twisting a stand of curly hair around her finger.

"It's for everyone to put their phones in." Nadia said, the words sounding like less of an explanation and more of a demand. She flipped open the lid of the box and held it out to us. No one moved.

"Please tell me you're joking." Theo said, looking at the box in disbelief. Nadia rolled her eyes.

"I'm not trying to steal your phones, if that's what you're worried about. I had this idea, about the house and the holiday. The house is all old and run-down, right? If we want to experience the house and have the most fun possible here, if we truly want to make this holiday unforgettable, then we have to suit the house, and it's pretty hard to pretend that you're in the 1920s with your phone." Nadia explained. I smiled slightly, bringing my phone up from my pocket.

"I can understand that. The party - the one with the whole town, it can be like something out of The Great Gatsby, and it's not even like we're going to need our phones here, we don't even know anyone." I said. The more I thought about it, the more Nadia's idea made sense. We could pretend like we were in another time, could truly have a fresh start, if only for two weeks. The idea of living in a glamorized version of another time appealed to me, and upon looking at River, I knew they understood exactly what I meant.

"I'm in. I trust you, and I know the next two weeks are going to be amazing." I said confidently, sliding my phone out of my pocket and placing it into the box, hearing the clack of my phone case against the wood. Nadia's lips lifted into a smile as she looked at me, placing her own phone into the box.

"Trust me, they'll be unforgettable." She promised, looking around the room. River smiled, their eyes sparkling, and placed their phone in the box, keeping their grasp on it.

"Okay, but only if you buy me a really nice dress for the party."

"Do you even have to ask?" River relinquished their phone, sitting back as Nadia slid into the seat next to them, smiling at River. I turned to Nicole, my eyes wide and pleading.

"Come on, it's only for a bit. Besides, you don't even use your phone that much!" I begged. Nicole sighed, neatly placing her phone next to River's.

"The things I do for you Rhy." She said, shaking her head in mock disgust. I grinned at her, but my eyes went to Theo, who was watching the scene with his eyes narrowed. He didn't look close to giving up his phone, and whilst I thought he didn't trust me that much, I was certain he trusted Nadia a whole lot less. Theo seemed to notice my attention and his eyes flicked to mine, his resolve wavering slightly. I looked at him, trying to convince him. Please. It will be easier for all of us. Theo swallowed, his gaze darting around the room before landing on me again.

"Fine." He said finally, passing his phone to Nadia, who dropped it in the box. Nadia was about to shut the box when Nicole leapt forward, shoving her hand in between the lid and the rest of the box.

"Wait, shouldn't we text our parents, let them know that we're going to be away from our phones?" Nadia lifted the lid and Nicole winced as she inspected her hand, a sharp line of red cutting across it.

"How about we regroup in ten minutes and put our phones in the box?" I suggested, taking back my phone. No one objected, and I made my way to my room, pausing only to point and laugh at Nicole's hair as she went into her room.

I shut my door quietly, before opening my phone. I knew I should text my parents, but they were probably both busy at work, and wouldn't get home until at least ten, if not eleven. Besides, they wouldn't notice my lack of texting or calls anyway. They weren't bad or distant parents, but living in New York and looking after two daughters was expensive, even with two stable incomes, and they needed to work hard to maintain their jobs. I loved my parents, and they were loving and supportive, but away often. Still, I didn't mind, and had grown relatively self-sufficient. Even as a kid, I could look after Livie or go to Nicole's house to not feel alone. Instead, I scrolled to Livie's contact, clicking on call. The phone rang a couple of times, before Livie's voicemail answered, her already high voice sounding tinny and distorted over the phone.

"Hi, this is Livie's phone. If I know you, leave a message, if I don't, then don't call me!" There was a pause, and you could hear my faint murmuring, before Livie's talking resumed.
"No Rhy, I'm not being rude! Anywayyy, I'll talk to you soon." I smiled slightly as the ding sounded, indicating I should start talking.

"Hey Livie, I'm at the mansion, and you were wrong - it is actually a mansion. Anyway, we're putting our phones away, so if I don't reply, don't worry. Don't be an idiot, bye!" I said briefly, before hanging up as Nicole walked into my room, her phone in her hand.

"Did you call your parents?" I asked, before immediately regretting my decision to talk.

"You know I don't need to." Nicole answered without a trace of sadness in her voice. I stepped towards her, linking my arm through hers and pulling her down the stairs and almost making us both fall. The box was settled on the coffee table in the living room, and as we walked in, I saw that everyone else had already dropped their phones in the box and was sitting in various points around the room, waiting for us. Nadia was standing next to the box, twisting a key around in her hand, and I noticed Nicole's eyes flick to the key. It was a little reassuring to know that our phones weren't going to be locked away forever, but I knew that if it came to it, we could just break the box. I walked forward, dropping my phone in the box, but Nicole hesitated.

"Where are you going to put the box - and the key. How do we know that you're not just going to open the box and use your phone, or that someone else won't do the same?" Nicole asked Nadia. Nadia smiled, as if she'd been expecting the question.

"I'm hiding the box, and the key in a separate place. When we leave the mansion, I'll get them and we can all unlock it together." Nadia explained. Nicole nodded, seemingly satisfied, possibly a little impressed with the answer, and dropped her phone in the box, stepping back and bringing me with her. Nadia looked down at the box, and back at us.

"Here we go." She said, shutting the box with a click. Nadia swung the key around on her finger, picking up the box and turning to leave.

"Oh, and don't try to find the box or the key, I'll hide both very well." Nadia trilled, stepping out of the room and shutting the door. The door made a similar noise to the box being closed and I rushed to the door, trying the handle again and again. After a minute, I turned to the others, trying to stop myself from frowning.

"It's locked." River let out a surprised laugh and Nicole's eyes widened, but Theo remained expressionless.

"Huh, I guess she really was serious about this whole thing." River said, a note of confusion in their voice. I turned back to look at the locked door, my brow furrowing. Something was off, so, so off.

"Yeah."