Judging Criteria

There are 5 elements that we look at while judging a story. Each element is rated on a scale of excellent to poor depending on the execution:

1. Concept/Plot

2. Tone/Voice

3. Spelling and Grammar

4. Organization/Development

5. Style

Concept/Plot

- The concept is compelling, fresh, and unique.

- The ending brings the story to a remarkable conclusion.

- Hits all points for its category yet is unique, connects with readers and delivers a clear message.

Tone/Voice

- Authorial voice is compelling, strong and distinct, and each character voice as well.

- Strong, vivid, emotional language throughout.

- Point of view is clear, powerful, and maintained throughout the story.

Spelling and Grammar

- Punctuation, spelling, and grammar are always correct.

- Proficient editing (substantive, line, copy) has been applied to text.

Organization/Development

- The pace is well-balanced, there are not too many or too little moments of cliffhangers, there are moments of tension with emotional relief, and there is no major info-dumping.

- Writing progresses through a beginning, middle and ending via effective and creative transitions.

- Characters are well-developed, multi-dimensional, relatable, unique, and unforgettable.

Writing Style

- Writing is extremely creative. Ideas and style are refreshing and imaginative. Talented writing.

- Dialogue is memorably mixed with narration, is not overused, and supports plot development.

<-->

Judging for poetry submissions is based on 4 elements:

1. Word Usage: Writer's usage of vocabulary is precise, vivid and paints a lasting picture in the reader's mind.

2. Poetic Technique: Effectively uses poetic techniques to reinforce the theme.

3. Tone: Writer's distinctive voice and unique perspective is very evident; a highly creative, unique and innovative approach that grabs the reader.

4. Spelling and Grammar: Has correct spelling, grammar and punctuation; contains few errors.

Note - Poetry submissions will be judged based on the first 1000 words in the submitted entry.