Chapter thirty-three (Blake)

We found Miss Birling in front of her office, arms on her hips in a frustrated manner.

She seemed to be leaning down to a group of cat-like creatures that stood on two feet and were quite large and pudgy like illustrations from a Louis Wain art piece.

They made small squeaking noises and blubbering sounds like a young child or baby. One of them clearly was talking to the headmistress while the others danced in a circle around Humphrey the familiar.

The cat stood staring at all the strange animals as they played. By my assumption, they must have thought he was their god.

"Now, now, I'm sure we can sort this out in a much more civilised way." Miss Birling sighed.

The little creature jumped up and down and made more noises which she seemed to understand completely.

She made another remarkable sigh. "What about some extra pudding from the kitchens?"

The creature stopped and skipped over to his friends, they all gasped and cooed over the wonder of extra pudding before all agreeing to go with the idea.

The headmistress grabbed Humphrey by the body and held him like a baby in her arms. "Well, that is good news! We will make sure to leave the extra pudding in the wall cracks to make you feel more comfortable; after all, you are cleaning the classrooms for us."

As we approached with caution, the animals all turned and clambered away like small children upon noticing us.

Miss Birling adjusted the glasses on her nose, still managing to hold the large ginger cat whose body stretched down like a concordian.

Raising her hand, she pulled the cat up to climb onto her shoulders. "Ah, Sebastian and Blake Hawkings, the boys I was just on my way to look for. I was just making sure the brownies were sorted with their new terms."

Humphrey meowed raising a paw to us in a wave.

"Miss Valentine sent us." Sebastian perked. "It's about the two prophecies right?"

The lady smiled in an impressed fashion. "I expected Elise to be too eager to let me do the talking first. It's in her nature I suppose; to do what she believes is right."

Chuckling nervously, I reached out and scratched the back of my neck. "I guess we should get down to business then..."

She gave a kind and motherly smile. "Yes, I suppose we should."

Reaching for the handle, she opened the door and stepped backwards graciously.

"Gentlemen, if you will." Miss Birling motioned for us to go inside the office.

Seating ourselves in the chairs opposite her desk, she took a deep breath and crossed her arms together. Pushing away some of the paperwork, requests for the Halloween Ball and even some financial documents.

Miss Birling sat down and looked us both directly, still retaining a kind expression. "So, it seems that not even fate wants to stop you from getting in potential danger."

I lowered my head in a little shame; it wasn't my fault of course. But being one of the people centres to the problems makes it very hard not to blame me. "It does seem that way."

She made a small and perky laugh. "Blake my sweet boy, don't blame yourself for the incoming danger. This has inevitably happened before and will happen again, last time I tried to protect too many people. This time, we need to go forward and get you prepared for whatever the EDEN wishes to throw at us."