Chapter forty-two (Blake)

Cassandra was sitting in Miss Birling's office, looking rather hollow when I was called in the early hours of the morning.

It was a few hours before breakfast, the sun had barely risen.

All of the Prefects had been called by Humphrey and Maximus, collected from each dormitory; of course, my brother was allowed to come with me as whatever had happened was so large, it included him, Georgina and Jacob too.

Georgina didn't say anything; in fact, she made herself invisible to everyone else. Wearing more bland but comfortable clothes and standing behind everyone else with her head down to the ground.

Mr Greymeddow was there, looking very displeased about whatever happened.

"Blackmail?!" Elise gasped, holding Cassandra's hands while she sat next to her.

Cassandra lowered her head, feeling very melancholy. "Yes, I received a few threatening notes. They were being left on my pillow whenever I came in from dinner."

Miss Birling folded her arms anxiously, looking out of her rosé tinted window. "What did these notes suggest Miss Church?"

The Alchemist pulled out a small pile, left in different types and ransom font. Passing them to Mr Greymeddow who examined them while Maximus looked over his shoulder.

"They suggested I give them my family heirloom, the diary and any information I had written for the process of regeneration." She said in a strong but croaky tone.

Chase placed his arms around his waist. His eyeliner smudged from not washing it off from the night before. "Of course you didn't give them did you?"

She shook her head in a very certain manner. "I would never give anyone anything! The thought of it made me feel so angry, that someone would actually think I would go through with such tripe!"

I leant forward to Humphrey who held a tray, pouring some coffee and handing it to Cassandra. "I'm guessing they offered a spot to leave the goods?"

"Yes, in the chapel and under the cross." She huffed, sipping the coffee.

Sebastian, who was still in pyjamas like most of us, placed a finger on his chin. "Did they threaten your life, Miss Church?"

"No, something much worse." She muttered with distaste. "After the first threat on my life didn't work. They took a step further, threatening to kill Caleb and Sam."

Elise looked deeply horrified by the news. "Caleb Davis and Sam Gethsemane? Oh god, Cassandra what happened?!"

Cameron Thorne, who had been hiding behind Humphrey drinking a blood-pack, stepped forward.

His expression was very grave indeed, no sarcastic smile and no scary necromancy. "Sam Gethsemane, a very nervous kid that I had been in charge of as head of the vampire dormitory. He was struggling so much since he turned... the other vampires can be so horrible. Yesterday he never came to dinner, and then never came back to his coffin for the night. I reported it immediately."

Mr Greymeddow pulled out a lighter and lit his cigarette; he looked like he needed it.

Puffing smoke, he spoke. "It was also brought to my attention that the warlock known as Caleb had also vanished from his party around the same time. Usually, we can find a student within a few hours... but two?"

Cameron continued. "One missing student is worrying but two makes it a horrific kidnapping."

Joshua tapped his fingers together in a calculative way. "They really did it, oh god it's happening again."