Chapter 7

As he blinked back to consciousness, Jace noticed that the darkness had fled, leaving only the wan grey and rose of early dawn, as if it were all a bad dream. Baye knelt over him, a grim expression on his face; Adan and Scamp stood at a distance, confusion and dread radiating from their features. Only then did Jace realize he was still glowing, with a rueful grimace he schooled himself to normality and took Baye's offered hand, soon gaining his feet. Baye studied him for a moment, relief plain on his face, as he said, "what happened? Where is your friend?"

Jace shook his head in wonder, grief tumbled over him like a tidal wave as he remembered what it was that had just happened. He told the tale, at least all he could remember, the others drawing close to listen, their faces a study in horror and grief as the tale unfolded. Baye shook his head grimly, "a fell tale that, lad. What has come of your friend indeed?! Has our Enemy at last created a foe to rival the Shadow?"

They exchanged uneasy glances and an awkward silence for a moment, until Jace at last asked, "what happened last night? What is the Brotherhood up to? What is this preposterously named Eye of Phil?" He turned curious eyes on Scamp, "so he is the last of our number," he added with a smile, "but however did you come by such a name?"

This lightening of mood and change of subject was precisely what the foursome needed to break the unsettling spell that had woven itself about them with Jace's tale. They decided to talk as they rode back to the city, as the wreckage would soon be abuzz with those investigating the debacle and they must apprise the Lady of the disaster, at least as much of it as they were allowed to tell. Scamp began as soon as they were upon the open road with no obvious bystanders to overhear, as had been the tragic case the previous night, said he, "first, upon the serious matter of my name. What my given name is, not even my parents could tell you, for one wished to call me Horace and the other Icabod, yet neither would compromise on something else nor bend to the wishes of the other, so I had no name until about the time I started walking, and getting into trouble, for my father berated me as a naughty little 'scamp,' and I have been called thus ever since."

They shared a much needed laugh, before he sobered significantly and began upon the more serious topic, "as to last night, we buried our slain comrades in the usual manner, but suddenly it grew dreadfully dark and a feeling of utter terror fell upon all of us. We could do naught but hunker down and pray. The evil feeling intensified, grew triumphant for a moment, and then suddenly abated, about the time a blinding flash of light consumed us all. We came to ourselves to find no sign of your friend and you lying senseless and aglow. Adan and I buried the merchant while Baye knelt beside you, waiting for you to waken. It took over an hour for you to regain your senses, but after what you endured, it is a wonder you awoke at all." He smiled ruefully, "but then the Master's power is ever greater than that of our Enemy, so I should not be surprised in the least, nor have we reason to fear whatever it is that has come of your late friend." They all heartily agreed to the last statement with a resounding cheer.

"As to the Brotherhood and this Eye of Phil," Scamp smiled in grim amusement before continuing, "that really is a ludicrous name, and I know something of absurd nomenclature. I have heard rumor of these so-called 'Eyes' before; they are named after the man that willingly sacrifices his life to produce the artifact, in this case Phil was the unwise party. It is theorized, we have no direct knowledge of their use or function, that the orbs can be used to communicate with other members of the Brotherhood, perhaps even with the Nameless One himself, and to spy on distant locations, perhaps the activities of one's evil minions? Quite a useful gadget, certainly, but difficult to replace if lost or destroyed, because it is not in the nature of evil to sacrifice itself for the greater good; finding someone willing to die for the cause when there is no direct benefit to themselves might be well nigh impossible, that is why they are so determined to find this thing before we do or it is permanently lost. How it came to be in the merchant's keeping or who he found to fob it off on, remain to be discovered. Perhaps some of his fled companions might have an answer?"