Chapter 2

The Students were just putting away their practice swords when Jace entered the yard, eagerly studying his old friend from a distance; Hawk had not yet noticed his presence, as he was quietly explaining something to one of the departing Students. He must have felt keen eyes upon him, for he looked up and nearly jumped in surprise but managed to restrain his reaction to a slight smile and the merest nod of his head. The last of the Students hastened off to lunch as Hawk drew his own sword, Jace automatically doing likewise as he approached the swordmaster.

Hawk set himself in a defensive stance and said with a grin, "so you've returned at last."

Jace shrugged, setting himself as they launched into a sparring match, "to me it has only been a few days." He shivered as he blocked Hawk's blade and then struck out with his own, "a dreadful few days at that."

Hawk smiled grimly in remembrance, saying ruefully, "my own journey was far from pleasant, but the incident prior to my recruitment was far worse."

Jace nodded in understanding, thrusting at his faux foe, "I wondered how you recovered from such a trial?"

Hawk shivered, "I thought it all a horrid dream, everything from killing Scamp to ending up inexplicably in the dungeons of Astoria an hour later when we had been somewhere in the far south of the world. I was too shocked and dazed to think it all through, but even the briefest recollection of what it was I had done was enough to drive me mad with guilt and despair, thankfully Scamp came to see me not long after you left. He tried to explain as best he could, which is difficult considering the secretive nature of the Shadow and my own overwrought sensibilities, but just knowing that he was alive worked wonders upon me. He left me then to my reading, to which I could attend at last with a somewhat sound mind. I was somewhere in the middle of the second volume when the Light came." He smiled broadly in remembrance, "and after, nothing else mattered."

Jace lunged in suddenly with his sword, asking, "how is it you became swordmaster?" He grinned impishly, "how did my sister take the news that you had abandoned her as easily as Adan had?"

Hawk's smile grew dangerous as he parried Jace and countered with his own stroke, said he, "she was out on assignment at the time and we did not see each other again for over two years, by then she had lost all interest in men and was solely focused on her duty." He grinned, "I suppose it helped immensely that I did not pay her court as intently as I once had done. No doubt she took it as an insult and decided she was not to be trifled with. That and I mysteriously vanished for some years shortly thereafter." Jace laughed his agreement as Hawk continued, "as to this assignment, I understand it is traditionally held by one of us, though there were a few years where another held the position until I was counted old and experienced enough."

Jace frowned in thought, "why would the swordmaster need to be of the Shadow?"

Hawk said in triumph, as he scored Jace's shoulder with his blade, "who better to keep an eye on the up and coming Students? Jared sees all who enter the castle, as I see those intent on gaining skill with a blade."

Jace nodded, grunted in pain as Hawk struck, and then replied with his own counterstroke, "it makes sense. So you two ward the keep while the rest of us protect the world?"

Hawk replied, easily blocking the blow, "actually we do a fairly good job of protecting the world without leaving the keep, for there is much that happens in Astoria that has worldwide repercussions."

Jace nodded, striking again, "now that I think about it, you are right. How many kings come here for counsel or send their children to learn? How many of your current students will one day be leaders, advisors, or warriors scattered all over the known world?" He smiled eagerly, "an influential position indeed!" He laughed merrily, "you have no need of the rest of us at all."