Chapter 39 - Countdown

It felt like I was falling with every breath I took. It felt like I was never going to rise up again. It felt like every single inch of me was ripped away from my body and taken to another place... a place that I would never be able to find again. I had lost myself along with losing Cato, and there was no hope for redemption.

Sunny and Montana stayed with me, helping to get me out of my clothes and into bed without hurting myself in the process. I wasn't even confident in my own abilities to take care of myself anymore. I have only been in this place for a day... everything about being here revolves around Ca-

...Him.

And now I can't escape, because I know that President Snow is going to force me to be here, even if it is without him.

He was haunting me already, and it had only been two hours since he told me about kissing Molly. His voice echoed through my mind, repeating every word he said, every action he took, and every touch. The way he touched me like I was a piece of glass, like someone that he would never want to break. But, he did break me, over and over again, and I was just too stupid to realize it and learn to stay away.

Open the door.

I could hear him now, even when he wasn't here.

Open the door, right fucking now.

There it is again.. that voice, echoing through my mind like an endless dream.

I swear to God, I will break this fucking door down.

My hands find their way to my ears, trying to close the voice from entering my brain and registering through my memories of him. No matter how hard I squeezed my head, he just wouldn't go away. I need him to go away.

There was pounding on the bedroom door and I looked up to see Montana and Sunny sitting in their places, ignoring it as much as possible. I heard his voice booming again, demanding that someone answer the door.

He was here... right now.

No, I need him to go away. He's my worst nightmare.

"Open the fucking door!" he screamed.

Something, something deep down inside of me, wanted me to open that door to him and take him back, but the rest of me was saying no.. to just let him go.

It's all of the memories, all of the good ones, flooding my mind, trying to make me forget what he did, how much he hurt me, but how much I don't want to let him go. I have to let him in, to give him one more chance to explain himself to me.

Wait, no.. He needs to go away.

But I just want him to stay with me, to love me wholeheartedly like he promised all those times before.

I looked at Sunny, who turned to me and shook her head. She knew exactly what I was thinking, and she was telling me the right thing. Don't let him do this to me.. Don't let him use his words, his hands, and everything else he had to convince me, like every other time, to take him back and disregard all of the pain.

I turned my head away from the door and felt the pools of tears soaking into the pillowcase. I was so hurt, but I was still completely smitten with him.

I love---

I loved him so much.

There was pounding at the door again and then there was cracking.

I glanced up from the blur of my tears to see that the door had, literally, been broken open and Ca-- he was standing at the end of the bed, looking completely mad.