Chapter 2 (Percy)

Annabeth shooed me out of her cabin so she could work on some sort of project. I don't know.

She basically threatened me to go do something else or she'd put me in the infirmary herself, because I pretty much never left her alone. To be honest, I was scared to be by myself, so I kind of hovered around her.

So I sat on the beach, watching the sunset and missing Annabeth, when I felt a presence beside me. I turned, confused and then almost had a heart attack.

It was Gabe. Sitting beside me, on the beach inside Camp Half Blood.

I jumped higher than I think I've ever jumped before, pulling out my sword and in a fighting stance faster than he could blink. Gabe didn't move.

"Wh-what the hell?" I hate that my voice wavered. Not even fighting Gaia could take away my fear of that monster.

Gabe turned to me, except his eyes were wider, his features more feminine. His ugly maw grew into a smirk.

"Who do you see, Perseus Jackson?"

"What in the name of Tartarus do you mean?" I said, trying to be strong.

"I am Nemesis, goddess of revenge. I take the form of what most angers you, what you crave revenge upon," her/his eyes gleamed.

"Oh," I said, feeling stupid. Gabe was dead. I didn't have to worry about him anymore.

"See, dear, you've angered many things, gods, creatures, and primordials alike. All of them want revenge, and that is why I have been summoned. They wish you to suffer as they have suffered," Nemesis cackled, and my blood ran cold.

"But- but why? I've done everything to help the gods. Why would you turn against me?"

"Oh, sweet child. I have no side. I do not belong to any one person. I am the goddess of revenge, and revenge is like wine. It gets better as it ages. Many desire revenge against you."

I gulped. This was not going to be good.

"Perseus-"

"Percy," I automatically corrected.

"Percy," the goddess/Gabe said, annoyed, "you only have to do a single thing. Do this, and you and your loved ones will be spared. Refuse, and everyone you have ever cared for will perish."

"Alright, what do I have to do?" I asked. I figured I'd probably go on some dangerous quest to retrieve some magical artifact or something. Easy as pie.

Nemesis grinned evilly. My confidence wavered.

"You must shatter the heart of the one you love most."

All of the blood drained out of my face.

"No, that's- no. I can't," I whispered, and Nemesis (who still looked like Gabe) bounced up and down excitedly.

"Oh, but you must. Or they all die."

Nemesis made a thousand images run through my head. Annabeth. My mom. Grover. Jason. Piper. Leo. Nico. Hazel. Frank. Reyna. Rachel. And a thousand other campers.

"...all of them?" I whispered, haunted.

"Every last one! Choose wisely," Nemesis squealed (which was freaky, especially when she had Gabe's face and voice).

"Oh, and there's no loopholes to this one, dear. You can't give her an explanation, no no no. You must break her heart and then leave! I'll leave you to it,"Nemesis cackled once more. Then she disappeared in a cloud of smoke, leaving me standing on the beach, shell-shocked.