Highschool DxD

A common theme I keep coming across when reading fanfics about this anime is Rias being called out for letting Issei be killed by Raynare. How she could have easily prevented it and how it was just a ploy to get Issei into her peerage. This mostly occurs in crossovers or self inserts.

          However, I can't help but think that this isn't the case. For one, Rias had no reason to recruit Issei into her peerage prior to him being targeted by Raynare. Sure, she and Akeno may have been able to sense the presence of Issei's sacred gear, but the sacred gear in question originally manifested as a twice critical. Rias, likely, wasn't experienced enough at the time to realize he possessed the boosted gear. If she had realized what he had in his possession, she wouldn't have waited an entire year before recruiting him.

          As for when Issei was targeted by Raynare, posing as Yuuma, recruiting him then wasn't that simple. Imagine how that conversation would go. "Hi, I'm Rias, but, of course you already know that. I just came to inform you that your new girlfriend is a fallen angel who might be trying to bring harm to you. I would appreciate it if you would let me turn you into a devil so I can protect you from her." Rias and her peerage weren't even sure that Issei's life was in danger at the time since they didn't even know what Raynare's intentions were.

          Lastly, does anyone else wonder why there were no witnesses to Issei's murder? It's because Raynare put up a barrier of some kind to deter people from entering. It likely prevented people from teleporting inside the park too (not too far fetched given they knew they were inside devil territory), so Rias was likely only able to be brought to Issei's location because Raynare had left.

          The problem with theories like this, where good characters are made out to have sinister intentions/methods, is that, more often than not, it treats the character as if they know absolutely everything. It's why I decided to make this new story, to show a different perspective on things. Feel free to make your own points.