Pokemon: Best Wishes

One of the most common complaints about Pokemon Best wishes is when Ash's pikachu loses to Trip's Snivy that he had just gotten. While I agree that this is ridiculous, one thing that's always annoyed me was when Snivy was referred to as being level five.

          At the end of his battle with Trip, Snivy finishes by using the move leaf tornado on Pikachu. This move is learned by Snivy at level 16, meaning Trip's Snivy was at least that level when the fought Pikachu. Incidentally, Cilan mentioned during their 5v5 "That's the Servine he used to defeat Chili,"  implying that it had already evolved by the time Trip had reached the first gym. This would make sense given the fact that they were one level away from evolution right from the start.

          This might even explain why Trip chose Snivy in the first place. He recognized that it was the strongest of the three starters and closest to evolving. There was an episode during Ash's adventures in hoenn about a Torchick going rouge on the day a new trainer was coming to get their first pokemon. While Ash and his friends were trying to get it back, that Torchick ended up evolving before they could get it back. Based on this, we know that Starter pokemon can be at different levels when handed out, so why people always insist that Trip's Snivy was level five astounds me.

           Also, remember, sixteen is the minimum level it could have been at. Ash's Snivy already knew the move Leaf Tornado when she was caught, making her at least level 43 and likely higher depending on how long it knew that move before meeting Ash (Which would explain why Snivy was abandoned by her trainer. Imagine if your starter refused to evolve past its first stage even after reaching level 40). While Trip's Snivy had already evolved into Servine, given how high level Snivy was, it would still have to be a pretty high level itself in order to match Snivy in their battle.

          In any case, I'm speaking purely in game logic here. But, to be fair, so is everyone else when they assume Snivy to be level five.