≛ chapter five

JUNE 1978

Juniper laid awake in her bed before the sun had even peeked above the horizon. Her mind stuck to the tingling of her lips. Her judgement had been impaired the night before, so she had barely been thinking when she kissed one of her best friends. She didn't regret it, though. Not one bit.

The sky was getting brighter now, and Juniper could just barely make out the hands on the clock hanging on her wall. It was only five-thirty. There was no use trying to go back to sleep, she knew that. Archie filled her thoughts, and she found it difficult to tear her mind away from him. 

June rolled out of the secure warmth of her sheets and trekked down the hall to the bathroom to prepare herself for the day.

I look like a fucking zombie. She scowled at her reflection in the mirror and attempted to make herself look more presentable. Maybe she could get extra hours at the cafe. She didn't have school, anyway, so it would have been nice to make some cash.

Upon exiting the bathroom, June was stopped by her mother's entrancing voice.

"What are you doing up so early?"

Juniper swallowed, shrugging the question off, and continued on the walk to her door. "Couldn't sleep," she answered simply.

Lily pressed further, the slap of her slippers against the floor echoing through the otherwise silent house while she followed her daughter into her room. "Something on your mind?"

"No," June lied. "I just didn't feel tired."

"I'm your mother, Juniper," Lily snorted. "I know when you're lying."

June watched with skeptical eyes as Lily cocked her head to the side and the tousled golden bun atop her head fell with the movement. "Or maybe... someone is on your mind."

June resisted the urge to roll her eyes, turning to her closet to fish out something to wear. "God, Mom, you're just like Lucy."

Lily replied in monotone. "Good, maybe I can gossip with her about how you and Archie are too scared to date."

Lily smirked triumphantly as June's blushing cheeks gave away her thoughts. "Can we talk about something else?"

Juniper's voice was tender and sweet, not annoyed and embarrassed like it usually was when her mother brought the boy up, and Lily didn't overlook it. "Did something happen between you two? Something good?"

Juniper decided on a denim skirt and an off-the-shoulder top. "We kissed," she admitted reluctantly.

"Cute," Lily laughed, thankfully not gushing about how her baby had a boyfriend.

June didn't have a boyfriend. She and Archie weren't dating. At least, not officially. Juniper decided that she wouldn't have minded being his girlfriend. Besides, it wasn't like there was anything that kept her from dating him.

"Donna," the boy hissed as he nudged his friend. "Donna, wake up!"

The redhead jumped, promptly hitting her head on the roof of the van before groggily turning to him. "What now, Kelso?"

Michael nodded at the busy street in front of them and a grin spread across her glossed lips. "Wow, I can't believe we're here!"

They had finally made it to California. After hours of driving, bickering, and rocking out to whatever was on the radio, the van was finally parked on the side of a street on the sunny west coast.

"It's hotter than I expected," Donna exhaled, fanning at her face. "I guess I should have expected it, though. It is summer."

A coy grin appeared on Michael's features. "If you want to take your top off to cool down, feel free."