The Botanist

A giggle escaped my lips as I gratefully accepted the large trophy. Millions of flashes exploded around me, lighting up the small stage I was standing on.

"Congratulations again to Miss. Nison for winning this years first place trophy in the gardening category!" The mayor boomed, giving me the golden trophy, which was illuminated by the cameras. I held tightly to the award, my eyes darting in between the cameras. I had, yet again, claimed first place in my town's fair gardening competition. Despite my frazzled and surprised demeanor behind all that I was anything but. I always won, so hearing the results this year I barely batted an eye at it.

My head turned to what had won me the reward and I smiled at my work. A large pumpkin sat across two wooden dining tables; its orange exterior so pigmented it almost looked like a cartoon. It weighed at least three tons, which showed how the dining tables creaked under the heavy weight and their legs starting to splinter. When sat down on it's bottom is stood over 6 feet and 7 inches tall, and when on it's side 6 and 9 inches. It truly was my best work.

"Although I wouldn't expect anything less from you. Especially considering your profession." The mayor said with a bright smile. I laughed with him before turning back to the crowd. A few reporters for the town's paper had pushed themselves to the front and eagerly held their note pads and recorders. They asked the same questions every year, but I didn't mind.

"Miss. Nison! Miss. Nison over hear!" One reporter yelled, his glasses nearly slipping off his nose as he flailed around to get my attention.

"Oh yes, you. What's your question?" I asked politely, continuing the simple townsfolk persona that I had perfected by this point. After he had settled himself slightly he held his own recorder close to me.

"How long did it take to grow your prize winning pumpkin?" He asked. I flashed another bright smile and walked over to my plant and ran a hand over it's smooth shell.

"Oh quicker than you would think. Amazing what a little love and patience will do, huh?" I said in a sickly sweet voice. The reporter smiled and retracted his arm, signaling the remaining reporters to jump at their chance. After picking a rather young reporter I answered her question.

"I know you've probably been asked this a thousand times, but how do you do it? I mean in the time this town has held this competition we've never seen things like the ones you bring." She said as she held tightly to her notebook. I pretended to think hard about my answer before looking over the rest of the crowd.

"Well, as most of you know I went to college for botany after discovering my knack for it. After those four years were over I continued to study through free classes I had found or just growing plants at home. Eventually I found the perfect way to grow mine and perfected it as you can see," I gestured back to the pumpkin, earning a few laughs," And that way is persistence, ambition, and well love."

The crowd seemed satisfied with my answer and after answering a few more standard questions the mayor returned to the center of the stage.

"Alright, I think that's enough questions for now. I would like to thank Miss. Nison for not only participating in this competition, but for also donating this grand pumpkin to Souls Diner who will be using it in a just a few short months to feed the town during our Thanksgiving Dinner!" The town erupted in cheers and applause while the staff of Souls Diner had gone white, staring almost fearfully at the giant pumpkin," But most importantly I would like to thank you all for attending and voting. Let's give a hand to our competitors this year!"

The crowd once again applauded for the rest of the competitors whose plants, when sitting next to mine, look like child's toys. The town was lit it bright yellow lights making the surrounding builds almost look mystical, one of the many reasons I moved here. The builds in the two were small, the biggest being only three stories, but it was perfect for my needs. After the clapping ceased and the Mayor dismissed everyone from the stage, I tucked my golden trophy under my arm as I strutted from the stage, my head held high. People surround the stage exit chatting amongst themselves or to the other contestants. However, once I walked off the stage and onto the ground all eyes were on me. I immediately became bombarded by questions and congratulations from the townsfolk. Keeping up my patience, I nodded and accepted their words. After navigating my way through the crowd, and may I say with great difficultly, I headed for my small station wagon. It wasn't anything to special and had definitely seen some years, but it got me where I needed to go.