Thirty Four

"HAVE you opened up your mail James?" my roommate Annabelle asks me as I lounge on the couch in the living room of our apartment with my laptop resting on my blanket covered legs.

We are so close to final exams and along with that I have a paper I have to submit for my pre-law class on any case of my choosing using what we've learned over the entirety of the semester to break the case down and give our final thoughts. Finals that let us give our personal opinion are hard because I never know what angle the professor is really looking for. But I've spoken to Professor Hilbert a few more times now, as she has been helping me with summer internships, and I feel like I know exactly what she is looking for and how to impress her with my growth over the course of this semester.

I've been quietly digging deep into my notes and case studies from the semester as the snow continues to dance and fall outside. It's swirling around in thick flakes creating a blanket across the chilled earth.

"Um...I don't think so, why?" I ask as I keep my attention focused on my laptop.

I'm not quite at an A yet in the class, but I'm so close I can taste it, and I know with this paper and my exam I can get there. It's because of my hard work that I got here. But it's also because of Preston. I would've never gotten to this point of self-confidence without him helping me.

The thought of him, even as small as this one, has my cheeks warming and my heart racing wildly in my chest. It was only a couple days ago, but the sight of him on his knees in-front of me has been seared permanently into my mind. I can't help but overheat every time the memory comes flooding back at just the mention or thought of his name.

I suddenly realize my roommate hasn't responded to me. I shift to turn myself towards the kitchen. "Anna?" I question. "Everything okay?"

She doesn't respond as her eyes stay glued to a piece of paper in front of her.

Unease pricks at my skin at her silence along with the confusion obviously painted across her face. I quickly slip off the couch and head over to her. "Hey, what's up?" I push as my nerves begin to rise, forcing my blood that just minutes ago was simmering to turn ice cold.

"Check your mail," she tells me, maintaining her focus on the piece of paper she's holding.

I walk over to the little shelf by the door that holds our keys and our mail. I grab the handful and flip through the stack until I land on an envelope that I see is addressed to me. The handwriting is in fancy calligraphy with my name perfectly spelled out.

My eyebrows furrow together as I pause and bring it over to the kitchen counter to stand beside my roommate. After a steadying breath I open it and slide out a thick piece of paper stock.

My lips part in disbelief and my heart comes to a complete stop before it begins to beat so hard and fast it almost steals my breath away. I have to reread the words written out in front of me multiple times to even comprehend what I'm holding. I now fully understand why my roommate is standing next to me frozen in shock.

Because in my hands lies an invitation to a masquerade ball in two weeks. From Nathaniel's father. In honor of his newly freed son.

"What is this?" Annabelle questions slowly. "And why are we invited?"

My throat constricts because I know why we are invited. And suddenly that feeling of impending doom that has been lingering in the back of my mind for the last few weeks is now front and center. Because in two weeks everything is going to come to a head. From what I've gathered about Nathaniel he likes a show. He's desperate for the attention, and he isn't going to go down silently with no one watching.

Before I say anything my phone is in my hands and I'm texting Preston, but I pause halfway through the text when my eye catches on the envelope again.

Because mine is not empty like my roommates' invitation.