yulyen: three words

It's been a long day. The classes she had today were some of the hardest and one of the lecturers was picking on her for no reason at all. Gosh, sometimes she just wants to drop out but she has made it this far so there is no point quitting now. Just half a semester left and she will be done with university. 

But even after this long and exhausting day, instead of getting home and resting, Yena would much rather spend her time where she is now- alone in a park. Well, she is not a fan of being alone but she can bear with it if it means waiting for her favourite person. And just as she expected, her favourite person is taking longer than she said. Yena chuckles to herself, that's why she got herself a hotdog to snack on while waiting. She knew her favourite person too well by now.

Yena had just finished her hotdog and was contemplating getting ice cream from the convenience store when she noticed her favourite person running up to her, guilt all over her cute face.

"Babe, I'm so sorry! I had to perfect something for the title track in my group's upcoming album and I lost track of time in the studio. I hope you didn't wait too long. Are you hungry? We could grab a snack," she rambles.

Yena's smile just gets wider as she shows her the empty hotdog bag before crumpling and tossing the paper bag in the bin. She then cups her favourite person's cheeks and kisses her nose. "You're extra cute when you get all worried about me, Yul," she says, making Yuri's face turn a bright red which was luckily not too visible under the dull street lamps. 

It's been the same routine for them for so long now. Yuri finishes practice and Yena picks her up, that's how it always goes. Yuri gets on the back of Yena's bike and the two ride off to wherever the bike takes them. Yuri's arms circle around Yena's waist, her chin perched on Yena's shoulder so she can plant feather-like pecks on her cheek when they stop at the signals. 

{flashback - part one}

Yena is sitting outside a large building. She's got her skateboard and a lollipop in her mouth. The security guard nearby is keeping an eye on her but that's probably because most middle school students are not out this late, especially during the exam season.

Just when Yena thinks she is going to fall asleep, she feels someone hug her from behind and from the corner of her eye, she sees the cutest face. It's become her favourite face recently. Yuri faces her and pouts, "Sorry for being late,".

Yena cups Yuri's cheeks and kisses her nose, "It's okay. I'm just happy to see you,". Yena wouldn't mind waiting for Yuri even if she took a few more hours. Heck, she would even sleep on the cold pavement if she had to. She knew Yuri was working hard to achieve her dreams of becoming a singer so all Yena had for her was admiration. She knew in her heart that Yuri will become the most successful singer one day and she would always be her number one fan.

Yena intertwines Yuri's hand with hers and the two walk home together. Yena could probably get home a lot faster if she brought her bicycle, she could even take Yuri on it but she just wanted an excuse to spend more time with the younger girl. 

The chatter and banter between them doesn't stop while they walk together, the night stars being the only witnesses of their conversation.

{flashback - part one - end}

Yena stops at a bridge, parking her bike by a tree. The bridge is old, dull red paint peeling off in some places, but the two of them are there anyway. Yena gently takes Yuri's hand and walks to the middle of the bridge. It has a perfect view of the lake and the big bright moon. Yuri turns around to face Yena, her back leaning on the bridge's railing while Yena steps closer just to bury her face in the crook of Yuri's neck. Her safe space.

"Bad day?" Yuri asks, kissing Yena's forehead and running her fingers through Yena's messy hair.

"No, I'm just tired," Yena says and turns to look at Yuri, a pout on her face now, "Also, I missed you all day,".

Yuri giggles, "Look at that, the cool biker girl is such a softie," she teases.

Yena crinkles her nose before turning her head to go back to her safe space. She mumbles, tickling Yuri's skin, "Only with you,".

Yuri smiles at those three words.

{flashback - part two}

They were about to head home but they came across a bridge on their way. It looked brand new, bright red paint glistening after the night drizzle. They sit on the railing together, legs dangling on either side so that they don't fall. The moonlight reflected around them, making everything sparkle and seem so magical.

Yena is humming the tune of the little song Yuri has been working on, it's so good that it is stuck in her head. She feels someone tug her sleeves and she turns to see Yuri's face filled with worry, the younger girl's eyebrows knitted. "Yul, what's the matter?" she asks, concern filling her every bone now. 

"What if you change your mind, Yena? What if you realise I'm not the right person for you?" she asks.

Yena is quiet for a moment, not sure whether Yuri is serious, but she can sense the fear in the younger girl's voice so she knows it's no joke. Yena looks her in the eye, "Will you change your mind?" she asks back.

"No but, if I debut, I'll be busy all the time and the schedules can be so messy. What if I can't spend enough time with you?" 

"I'll wait for you for however long it takes,"

"Don't be silly, that's unfair," Yuri mumbles.

Yena chuckles, "Yuri, your dream is about to come true. Don't give it up for some girl, even it's me," she says and pulls Yuri into a hug. "And just so you know, spending time with you makes me the happiest but just the thought of you makes me smile. I can wait for you as long as you want me to because when I picture my future, it's only with you,".

{flashback - part two - end}

--- [one-shot ~ end] ---

A/N:   i just had to start off this book of one-shots with the first ship i knew about in izone. these two are the cutest and are the definition of soulmates. their friendship is something i adore all the time.

i bet yall thought the three words were 'ily' but they're 'owy' hahah. hope you enjoyed!! i've got no idea when the next one-shot will be or who it will be about but keep an eye out for it :)

also, feel free to drop suggestions if there's anything you'd like to read. there's no guarantee that i'll write any or all of em though (and no requests for smut or anything of that sort).