4 - The Common Room

It is always difficult for me to imagine the hufflepuff common room without it just becoming Bagend. This video and photo up here of the art done by Nikki Bloom is the most phenomenal depiction I have ever seen. This will be the common room used for this story.

Lead by the Hufflepuff prefects the first years made their way out of the great hall and towaards a doorway under the large marble steps that Gryffindors and Ravenclaws are making their way to. Stuffed and tired from the long day of exciting adventure Gwyneth walked between Cedric and James, arm in arm.

As they followed the prefect down the hall Gwyneth's head dropped to the side, resting on Cedric's shoulder as they walked. They passed a large portrait of fruit before the prefects stopped before a pile of large barrels is to be found stacked in a shadowy stone recess on the right-hand side of the corridor.

The prefect girl with pretty brown hair pulled out her wand. "To get into the common room you  need to tap the barrel two from the bottom, middle of the second row," She pointed to the barrel then tapped with her wand to the rhythm as she said, "Hel-ga Huff-le-puff."

The barrels began to shimmy aside revealing a door way the scene creating a comforting, reminiscent image of the entranc to diagon alley for the first years as a slop down to an earthy passage was revaled. The two prefects lead the way through the small door in the stone wall into the earthen passage. The tightly packed dirt walls were lined with torches as it made a sharp left turn, revealing a beautiful arched door with leaflike circular patterns on it.

The male prefect put his hand on the door as the two students turned around, smiling at the younger students. "Welcome to the common room." He said, once they were all gathered and pushed the door opened.

"Wow." James gasped as they were ushered through the door, having to step sideways slightly to get the trio through with their still locked arms.

Gwyneth's head popped up from Cedric's shoulder the want for sleep instantly disaperating. The entered onto a landing a circular hole in the middle with a chandelier hanging over, beautiful rich green vines growing down it. The made of a beautiful polished wood and yellow honeycomb like patterns. There were doors leading off from both sides, the same elegant shape as the one they'd just entered.

The front of the landing had stairs, leading down to the sitting area of the common room. Stained glass windows lead from the bottom floor to the vaulted ceiling. everything had a rounded build, creating a very cozy feel. But Gwyneth's eyes as were everyone else's as they filled into the room was ventered on the flowering tree that was growing of the fireplace down below, up the wall, and branching out across the ceiling. The scent of it's flowers creating a daziling, feminine scent that reminded Gwyneth of her sweet mother's shampoo.

The prefects gave them all a few minutes to take in the dazziling site as older students began to filter into the room as well. Some headed into the doors on the landing, but most headed down the stairs taking seats on the counches and armchairs around the fireplace. Talk and laughter filled the room as the whole house conversed. As the first years began to drift toward the stairs at the right the two prefects stood in front of them, blocking the way with warm smiles.

"Boys dormitory is to the left." The male prefect, Warner he'd intrdoced himelf as said, motioning to the door. "Girls dormitory is on the right."

"You'll find all your belongings have already been taken to the rooms labeled first years." Said the girl, Mary Gwyneth thinks is her name said.

Warner took back over. "Now, off to bed. First day tomorrow you'll need a good night's rest."

They all grumbled, but seeing that the two would not budge they headed off to bed. Gwyneth reluctantly hugged Cedric and James good night, then followed the other girls off to bed.