𝐗𝐋

40

"Oh, you poor motherfucker," Ralph shook his head, "And here I thought you had your heart ligated."

"That's emotionally and physically impossible, Ralph," I glared at him. Reaching for the soy sauce, I dipped my umpteenth sushi and popped the delicacy into my mouth. It's the same place I went to with Adil. The only difference from then and now could be felt: the temperature. The heater is on, as it should for a time like this. The temperature's starting to drop and in a few week's time, snow is going to fall.

"What happened the morning after?" he wondered, doing the same. It's Ralph's payday and that means free dinner.

"He woke up before me," which was a first. I shrugged, "I ate breakfast while he was working in the study, then I left. We didn't talk much but I asked him if he was okay and he told me to go home."

"I'm getting second hand awkwardness," said Ralph, gesturing to a waiter for an iced tea refill.

"It was awkward," I confirmed. It wasn't because of the three am thing since he didn't know I was awake. It was because I witnessed an event that had vulnerable Keenan emerging from the shadows. Whereas he chose to open up that night drunk Ralph hit my face, two days ago was a different story.

"But you know what?" my friend spoke as he chewed. Talk about manners, "I think Keenan's growing soft. Emotionally," he clarified.

I wanted to agree but didn't wanna tell my friend about three am. "Really?"

"Well, from everything you told me..." he shrugged, "but that's just a guess. I'm not sure. For beginners, he's starting to let you into his... his little Keenan bubble."

"What should I do?"

"Should you do anything?" he asked and took another piece into his mouth, "that's the real question. You won't have to do anything unless you want something."

I pursed my lips. Ralph looked at me as if he'd just deciphered a puzzle. He looked at me mockingly, expectantly— waiting for liberty to confess. I guess it was pretty obvious since I spent our first thirty minutes upon arrival blabbering about Keenan's redeeming qualities. That and I spent the next twenty just talking about Keenan in general. In the next ten, I recalled what happened yesterday—sparing the private information, of course. Only the vague outline: came for dick, something happened, I stayed.

"I don't," wimp.

His unbelieving look was comical, "You got Keenan's Bitch written on your forehead, Gia."

I corrected myself, "I can't."

"I know," he told me, "but to solve a problem, you have to acknowledge it first." he waved a finger in the air.

My appetite flew to my father in heaven. I laid my chopstick on the table, wiped my mouth, and cleared my throat. I stared at Ralph. "I'm scared."

"Who isn't?" the man shrugged, "remember the last time I got into a serious relationship?"

How could I not? Though Ralph looks like the mastermind of hookup culture, when he's serious, he's very serious—romance, practicality, effort. You name it and simp Ralph gives it. He hasn't been that version for a while bu from the looks of it, Janella might have the alter make a come-back.

"I do," I said to him, "she cheated on you."

"With my cousin," he lifted his glass, "pretty common but that doesn't mean it hurts less, Giababes."

I watched him down the contents, sighing right after. His face softened when he glanced at me. I must look how I feel. "Come on, say it with me."