Chapter 5

Saturday Morning Before School

It was a rainy Saturday morning, more like thunderstorms. All throughout the night you heard the rain hit the apartment complex you resided in and it didn't let up at all into the morning. It even flickered the power a few times while you were getting ready. You packed your things into your bag and put a rain cover over it. You then walked over and got your gym clothes and workout clothes into another bag, you were planning on going to the gym after school, and last night you received an email from school stating that you were required to bring your provided gym clothes to school today.

After getting that situated, you quickly grabbed a rain jacket from your closet and a small umbrella, just in case.

You then went to the kitchen and waited for your mother to finish up some breakfast. She made some eggs, bacon, and toast. She also included some fried rice, trying to expand her cooking while being in Japan.

"How's your first week been at school?" Your mother started a conversation while she was finishing up.

"Alright I guess. Just a bit difficult, but it's all good I s'pose" you answered while sitting down at the table. "Dad already leave?"

"Yeah, he left about an hour or so ago. He was called in earlier." She answered.

"Alright" you wanted to change the subject quickly, the other morning just irritated you to another level.

"Well, have you made any friends yet at Shujin?" She asked while putting your breakfast on a plate.

"You're sounding like I'm in elementary school mom" you laughed, "I wouldn't say that I've made any friends, I've met a few people. However, mostly everyone is a bit shy to talk to me. I get it, but it is what it is." You replied.

"Well that's better than nothing I guess. Are the people you met pretty nice?"

"Yeah. The girl that showed me around on the first day was nice."

"Oh, a girl?" Your mom asked while setting your plate on the table. "Did you talk to her more after she showed you around?"

"Yeah, it was a good conversation. Her name is Ann Takamaki, surprised that she lets me call her Ann."

"Why is that?"

"With everyone calling people by their last names and a honorific, I was just surprised. She did say she was a quarter-American, so maybe that's why" you answered and then began to eat your breakfast.

"You could be right, or she must've enjoyed talking to you that she already doesn't mind you call her by her first name. You are an easy person to talk to dear"

"Yeah, tell that to everyone else in the school" you rolled your eyes at your mother.

"Well, what does Ann look like? Is she pretty?"

"She is very pretty, I won't lie about that. She has long platinum blonde hair that's tied into two pigtails, she has blue eyes that are almost welcoming to anyone." You started to describe the girl.

"You sound like you fell in love at first sight" your mother giggled.

"Anyways, she's a bit taller than most girls. Don't know much about her personality, but she seems nice, but also looks like she isn't afraid to say things like she sees it." You sighed while continuing to eat.

"I'm happy that you aren't trying to avoid anyone. Do you like Shujin for the most part?"

You shrugged your shoulders, "it's school. However, what happened before we got here is still lingering throughout the school. I haven't had a bad experience yet, so it is what it is. They did hire a school counselor, I've spoken to him. He's cool"