World on Fire

Cecilia carefully slid out of bed planting a soft kiss on her lover's forehead. Tip-toeing across the old hardwood before slipping out the door. She crept down the stairs avoiding the second-to-last step ,which squeaked the loudest, and began on her girlfriend surprise. Sunlight streamed through the gauzy whit curtains like melted butter, spilling itself across the countertops. She laid rows of thickly cut bacon onto a parchment covered pan, sliding them into the preheated oven. Then she carefully cracked open two brown eggs into a medium sized bowl whisking in cracked black pepper and cheese. Cecilia reaches for the butter dish, removing the lid, before deftly slicing of a pat of butter and tossing it into a heating frying pan. Soon the sound of sizzling butter filled the air along with a scent cooking bacon.  

There was a hiss as the eggs hit the pan. Cecilia was unaware of the person coming up behind her as she scrambled the whites and yolk together. Jumping as a pair a warm, mahogany arms wrapped around her waist.

The girl behind her let out a yawn, "Good morning honeybun."

"Morning Sunshine, even though you weren't supposed to be up yet."

"Hm, why not? It smells delicious."

"It was supposed to be a surprise doofus."

"Oh? What's the occasion?"

"There is no occasion, I just felt like it."

Cecilia dumped the finished eggs into a clean bowl before turning to her girlfriend.  She still had on her yellow silk bonnet, while wearing one of Cecilia's oversized sweatshirts that was hanging loosely off of her lean body.  Cecilia stifled a snort as her girlfriend let out another yawn. 

"What are you laughing at?"

"You're adorable when you're sleepy Scarlett."

"Shut up, no I'm not," Scarlett answered before promptly flopping into Cecilia's chest. They began to sway back and forth on instinct, savoring the feeling of each other's presence. 

Cecilia cleared her throat before saying, "Hey Siri, play I don't want to set the world on fire."

Soon the air was filled with soft music as they kept dancing in their kitchen. 

"Baby, you know how much I love you right?" Cecilia asked.

Scarlett chuckled, "Of course I do silly, and you know that I love you too?"

"I do."

And they stayed like that perfectly content as the sun continued to spill across the horizon, warming their skin and ringing their eyes in golden light.  

"Hey Cece, what's burning?"

"Oh shit, THE BACON-"