Chapter Thirty Seven:

Hadley's POV

Preparations had been made during the whole week for the ceremony today. Nolan had selected a dress for me and I had been poked and prodded to make sure that I was perfect. For days I had managed to convince Nolan that I was still under the witches spell. An obedient little wolf as he liked to put it.

The dress was a long gauzy deep red material that had a plunging v neck. A delicate belt sat on my waist made of golden vines. My hair had been arranged in a half up hair do with large curls, just as Nolan liked it. My blood red lip matched the dress perfectly. The wing eyeliner made my green grey eyes pop.

Cassia had helped me get ready. We barely had spoken over the last few days. She had not mentioned anything again after that day in the library. We had killed most of our time wandering through the gardens and the greenhouse. I arranged flowers filling the mansion with them. I did it with a pretty smile on my face telling Nolan I wanted to make our home as lovely as I felt.

Today was the day. I had perfected my plan. I would either be free. Back in my pack. Back with my mate... or dead I figured. I wouldn't allow myself to be someone's toy anymore than I already had.

Cassia was before me hemming the dress as I watched myself in the mirror. She finished hemming the dress as she slowly started to work her hands up my leg. I eyed her but she remained focused, scaling her way to my upper thigh. I felt the leather band being clipped around my thigh. Along with the weight of the dagger she was putting on me. When she had pulled that out I had totally missed.

"There. Now you're ready," She said calmly before leaving the room. I laid my hand over the dress feeling the dagger.

A few moments later there was a knock on the door. One of Nolan's pack members was telling me the party had begun and that I was expected downstairs. Many of the warriors had been kind to me in the house. I didn't understand how they could follow Nolan with such a blind faith.

I made my way down the stairs into the crowd of pack members greeting each of them as I passed with an eager smile. I spotted Nolan in the corner talking to the priestess. He had worn his usual all black apparel. Although this time he had a pocket square made of the same blood red gauzy material as my dress. He was preparing for the ceremony that would happen in only a few hours I assumed.

Nolan's pack was large. There were easily over 300 people crammed in the great hall. I made my way and mingled with some of the female pack members. I made simple pleasant talk only paying half attention. Nolan spotted me from the distance and gave me a smug look. So proud of himself for what he had done. What he had accomplished.

I excused myself from the women and made my way to the kitchen. Nolan found me a few minutes later leaned against the wall.

"Why are you hiding back here darling?" he asked closing the gap between us. Pushing his body on mine. I forced the bile down my throat as I gave him a soft gaze.

"I'm just not used to all this attention I guess. I just needed a second to gather myself," I forced my eyes to stare at Nolan's shoes. Let him think I was nervous.

"You need to get used to it," there was a sharpness to his tone. "You will be the luna of this pack. I need you to be able to handle standing by my side".

"Yes Nolan," I said, meeting his gaze. His dark eyes were hard as he scanned my face.

I was completely off guard as he pushed himself more into me and aggressively put his lips against mine. The kiss was rough and claiming. There was nothing romantic about it. He bit down on my lower lip hard. I yelped, pulling back. Nolan took his thumb and spread the blood over my already stained red lips.