𝟎𝟏

𝐂 𝐇 𝐀 𝐏 𝐓 𝐄 𝐑 𝐎 𝐍 𝐄

𝐂 𝐇 𝐀 𝐏 𝐓 𝐄 𝐑 𝐎 𝐍 𝐄

⠀⠀⠀ THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM, that was how we should describe this very moment. The moment where two young girls were lying side by side on the bed of the lucky one of two, under the comforting moonlight. Talking aimlessly about everything and nothing, unaware of what would lead up to the consequences of what they were about to do.

Both of the girls were well-known in Mystic Falls. Though with two very different reasons —Elena Gilbert, the girl who had everything. Perfect parents, great boyfriend, annoying but talented brother, caring aunt, recognizable last name, and the list would still go on. Whereas Arietta Quero was the oh-so-poor girl who had lost everything. Well, to be quite honest with you, not everything—but the gossipers in town, they tend to be dramatic.

Staring up at the broken white ceiling, Arietta wished that they were currently chilling at Gilbert Family Lake House. She always felt closer to her parents there. The number of holidays she and her parents spent at Lake House before the accident was enough to fill every corner of it with memories, which was something that Arietta always cherished.

But then again, the whole town reminded her of her parents. Mystic Falls was her parents' pride and joy.

The storm that happened a few days ago was the reason they were unable to make the trip. To say Arietta was disappointed was an understatement, she was always looking forward to the annual trip to Lake House. But her optimistic mind thought that maybe the storm happened for a reason.

The Gilbert always so kindly invited her to Lake House even after her parents' death, mainly because Ari's parents were a family friend to Grayson and Miranda. And they saw her as their own. Even when they didn't get to adopt her because Etta—her deceased grandma—specifically told the legal authority to put Arietta under the care of the Lockwood. Other than the Gilbert, Arietta's family had been gone way back with the Lockwood since the first time the Quero moved to Mystic Falls in the 1950s.

Since the storm occurred, Miranda thought it would be great to do a family game with Jenna, who was visiting for the summer. So, Elena invited Ari to a sleepover as they were supposed to be doing at Lake House anyway. Arietta welcomed the invitation with open arms, she never wanted to miss a feeling of warmth by being surrounded by her loved ones.

And there they were, doing each other's nails and exchanging war stories after excusing themselves from Elena's optimistic and loud family.

"No way! You and Franco finally did it?!" Elena exclaimed, her eyes widening as she looked up from Ari's toenails, "Why didn't you tell me?"

Ari cringed at the loud voice Elena made, "You were having problems with Matt, I didn't want to rub my relationship in your face," Arietta answered guilty, not meeting Elena's eyes.