CHAPTER FOUR.

Valerie sighed as she eyed Elijah nervously, still standing in the living room, her hand trailing against the chair where she just pulled the sheet off. "So, I don't really know how to feel about being mother because I never actually had one." She continued.

"I will always protect you. You have my word on that." Elijah assured her and Valerie smiled slightly in response. — "And noble Elijah always keeps his word." Niklaus interrupted as he leaned against the door, crossing his arms as he started intrigued at the pair. "Is it done?" Elijah asked, and Valerie frowned. What was done?

"As a matter of fact, yes. Your underhanded deal worked quite well. Marcel was only too happy to accept my blood, even as he accepted my heartfelt apologies. " Niklaus started and Valerie rolled her eyes in realization, Niklaus probably bit own of Marcel's men. "His man Thierry yet lives, and I remain a welcome guest in the French Quarter." He finished as he repositioned himself and walked over to them.

"My only concern now is this coven of impudent witches." — "I believe that to be honorable. They did release Valerie to me," Elijah started and glanced at Valerie before looking back at his brother and Niklaus stared blankly at the pregnant girl, "although they haven't been entirely forthcoming. Marcel obviously has something that they need. They don't want him dead." Elijah finished. "There must be a reason why." Valerie commented and Elijah nodded.

Elijah and Niklaus walked out and went to another room, Niklaus was leaning against the wall while Elijah was pulling off sheets of the furniture. "In addition to the secret weapon he uses to control the witches, Marcel has assembled a small army of vampires. Working together, we could destroy them from the inside." Elijah said as he threw away the sheets.

"And what of Rebekah?" Niklaus asked. "Had she stopped her pouting long enough to join the fun?" He added causing Elijah to sigh heavily. "She has made her disinterest quite clear." Elijah answered. "One too many times daggered and shoved in a box, I gather, or perhaps she doesn't share your unwavering belief that I can be saved." Niklaus said as he picked up a bottle, analyzing it, before pouring it into a cup. "Rebekah may surprise us yet. After all, we all swore the same vow." Elijah commented nonchalantly.

"I hope she stays far away because in my desire to reclaim this town, to steal from Marcel that which he holds most dear, I have realized one massive vulnerability." Niklaus started as he paced around. "One weakness that Marcel could exploit." He finished and Elijah frowned. "And what is that?" Elijah asked as Niklaus placed his cup on a table.

"You." Niklaus said blankly before stabbing Elijah with a dagger right into his heart, causing Elijah to yell out of pain and shock as he stumbled. His hand reaching for his heart as Niklaus pushed the dagger further.

"Forgive me, my brother. There is no power in love. Mercy makes you weak. Family makes you weak." Niklaus said as Elijah's skin turned gray and his veins started to show all over his body. "And if I'm going to win this war, I have to do it alone." Niklaus finished.

Valerie, who was clueless of what just happened, wandered around the house. Exploring and entering every room that she could find. She adored this house, especially of it's antique and beautiful interior and exterior. She started to hum again, placing her right hand on her stomach. It was like, Valerie was singing to her baby, like that would connect them. Valerie was walking down the stairs peacefully, until a car pulled up, causing Valerie to frown and slowly take a step.

"Elijah, if not answering your phone is part of your clever plan to get me back to this god forsaken city, then well done. I'm here and I'm worried. Now pick up before I kick in your bloody door." Rebekah commented before she hung up, and entered the house.