Chapter 3, Betrayal

over the next week, Clarke was in and out of consciousness, only awake for a minute or two at a time but feeling immense pain when she was awake. on the 8th day, Clarke awoke very slowly, only opening her eyes after a few minutes of lying still. she went to sit up, only to scream in pain as her head, arm, and side shot with searing pain, not relenting one bit.

"Stay down if you don't want it to hurt." she moved her head to the side to catch sight of a man with face tattoos and a long beard looking over her while rubbing some type of creme on her skin.

"I don't understand you." Clarke weakly called, feeling as if her throat was on fire. the man said nothing after that, continuing to rub the cream on her side and head as she sat looking at the ceiling of what she assumed was a tent. when he was done he sat up and left, leaving her alone in the shelter. she looked around to notice that it was indeed a tent, a big one at that, with multiple tables and what looked like makeshift beds all lined up in a row, with the tables scattered throughout the tent, in what seemed like no particular order. while she was looking around, a woman in what looked like armor walked through the tent entrance, causing Clarke to redirect her vision to the woman.

"I am Anya of the tree people, who are you?"

"I'm sorry I don't understand what you're saying I only know English." the woman then looked at her funny, curiosity in her eyes as she studied Clarke, almost as if trying to make a decision.

"I am Anya, what's your name?" she asked in English, confusing yet relieving Clarke at the same time, glad they can understand her.

"I'm Clarke, Clarke griffin." Clarke managed, though her throat was burning worse the more she spoke. the woman must have noticed this, as she left the tent and came back with what looked like a waterskin.

"drink, slowly," she instructed, leaning Clarke up to take a drink out of the skin. the burning in her throat instantly died down, leaving only a lingering dryness in its place.

"thank you, Anya," Clarke said, her voice less rough, but still hoarse from lack of use.

"now, why are you here, sky girl?" Anya's question caught Clarke off guard, causing a flood of memories to come back to her.

"I was sent here to see if the earth was survivable by the Ark," Clarke answered, worry in her voice at how long it's been.

"the Ark?" Anya questioned.

"when the bombs first fell, the 12 space stations orbiting earth all combined into one to ensure the survival of the human race, we called it the Ark, and it's dying," Clarke told her, causing Anya to look at Clarke with uncertainty.

"this Ark, how many people are on it?" she questioned, causing Clarke to think for a few seconds before answering.

"There are 2,372 living on the Ark." Anya looked to be in deep thought, almost as if contemplating something, before giving in and questioning Clarke.

"why would you want to help them after what they did?" Anya questioned her, giving Clarke a perplexed look.

"What do you mean?" Clarke asked Anya, confused as to what she meant.

"When we got to your crash site we found you barley conscious and trying to open your craft. Your landing was quite a sight to see, it was watched all the way from tondc. We have never seen anything like what you came in, but it was obvious it was supposed to fail."

"No that's not true I was supposed to make sure the earth was survivable they wouldn't kill me like that, if they wanted me dead they would have floated me," Clarke told her, sounding quite sure she was right.