THIRTY-TWO

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
—dumb olympus

🗡🗡🗡

  —THE black void of shadows had taken their voices. Not a single utterance had been made since leaving Hades Town.

What could Judith or Percy say that could possibly sum up what had happened to them? That could possibly live up to what they'd gone through?

Was Judith supposed to admonish him for challenging two gods within the span of an hour? Was she supposed to punch him for having such a death wish? Was she supposed to sing his praises for defending her?

Was Percy supposed to apologize for being so reckless? Was he supposed to reveal just how scared he'd been to find out she'd gone into the River Styx? Was he supposed to turn around and kiss her in relief that she'd made it out alive? Which one wouldn't earn him a punch to the gut?

Whatever it was that was supposed to be said or done was lost to the black abyss despite their aching hearts. There was a time for feelings — a time to be vulnerable, and a time to fight. And the war demanded the latter. They had both traded their mortal bodies for godly invincibility ( whether it was their choice or not ) and now they had to act like it.

Judith, even now as she felt the thrum of sleeping power in her core, couldn't believe it. It was supposed to be Percy, it was always supposed to be Percy's burden to take. To keep him safe, to keep others safe. It was his sacrifice for everyone else. Because that's just who he was, loyal to a fault. And she knew that that was what would keep him from giving into the crave of power.

But she?

She had no such loyalties. Achilles even said he'd seen the thirst and hunger in her eyes. There was very little that could keep her from caving into temptation, she knew it to be true and still she'd taken on the curse. It was a test of her resistance and she'd failed. Miserably. Judith loved to fight, but she wasn't sure this was a fight she could win.

  As she mulled over this unfortunate self-realization, Percy began to slump in his spot. His chin slowly started to descend to his chest and his breathing slowed. It didn't take a genius to figure out that overexerting one's self with the curse would have some repercussions. A car honked on the crowded streets of Manhattan as they bounded down the bike lane on Mrs. O'Leary's back, and the boy shot up straight while shaking the drowsiness away.

  He took out his mother's cell phone and deftly tossed it over his shoulder, trusting Judith to catch it with her newly polished reflexes. "Find Annabeth's contact and tell her to gather the camp and take them to Midtown Tunnel in Queens."

The first words to be exchanged between them since leaving the Underworld and Judith already wanted to shoot them down. "That'll be leaving the camp defenseless."

"I've got a plan," he said unhelpfully.

"Care to share, Big Brain?" Judith nudged him but opened the phone to text Annabeth. Using it was a risk they would have to take. There was no time to find a fountain for Iris Messaging.

  "We need to make a visit to Mount Olympus. You heard Grover, something's going to happen today." His hands shook erratically as they latched to the hellhound's fur and Judith understood why she was the one handling the phone. "Zeus will have to listen to us. He can't sit by and watch Manhattan fall."

Judith nodded to herself before realizing he couldn't see her affirmation and leaned her forehead to his back to show her agreement. She felt him tense harshly and pulled back swiftly, disquieted by his hesitation when it was normally the other way around. But as soon as she moved to pull her arm away from around his waist, his hands shot out to stop her from moving away. As the shock between their skin lit up, he pulled her forward till her head rested between his shoulder blades again, gently this time.