Chapter two: Say goodmorning to Detroit

Detroit was a city of bright lights. Ever since Cyberlife emerged and made it's mark on the world people couldn't help but flock to the city of opportunity; the city where it happened.

The lights on the outskirts of town were cheaper led's though, and graffiti littered the walls of local buildings. Many of the once bustling areas long abandoned to be closer to the heart of the city.

It was a good place to hide. If you needed to escape, that is.

Yet despite its lights Detroit was still a cold city, Michigan was a cold state, and the citizens were in a cold state of mind that frigid winters morning.

Whether it be the icy hearts of the corporate heads laying off the last human professor, the stone cold expression on a husbands face when he hears he won't be able to take care of everything alone, or the frigid bodies of two runaway children catching their breath in an alleyway.

Well, only one of them had breath.

One of the kids, a blonde with unusually messy hair, was currently leaning over a cardboard box. He was trembling, and the shorter boy beside him was doing his best to comfort him with steady pats on the back.

He could feel tears welling up, but they weren't from any kind of sadness. The stench of vomit becoming nearly unbearable as he heaved in another breath.

At least the darkness would hide them from view, it's harder to make out faces when all you have to see them by is an "Open 24/7" sign

"It'll be okay, Tommy." The second boy tried to reassure the first, speaking softly and bending down to look him in the eyes. He looked nervous, but his concern for the other outweighed that. "You didn't mean to, everything will be alright."

The blonde one, Tommy, wiped his mouth dry and gently shook his head. Silent for a moment, before turning up to face the brown haired boy. "Tubbo you don't get it.. I practically took his whole hand off! what am I supposed to do, say sorry?!"

Tommy still looked a little green but he still stood. Shaken but strong. Tubbo liked that about him, it was reassuring.

They both needed to be right now, that was for sure.

"Well maybe you shouldn't apologize. You did what you had to back there- you saved my life"

Tommy couldn't really argue there, even if he still felt sick, so he just gave a little nod and turned back to his companion. "We should get going. They're probably looking for us by now, and we need to find somewhere to stay the rest of the night."

Tubbo put a hand on Tommy's shoulder, led flashing between red and yellow for a few seconds before he gave a small smile. "Well what do you think we should do, big man?"

"I am quite large," Tommy replied instinctively, a little chuckle escaping his chapped lips. He gestured across the street, towards a 24 hour gas station. "How about that drugstore? Maybe they'll have some food and clothes.. we really need to get you in something else."

Tubbo paused and glanced down at his glossy shirt, the green looking dirty in the low lighting the building and street lights provided. Not to mention the shiny, Cyberlife labeled model 'TU800' scrawled across his pack like a cows branding.

They definitely needed to cover that up, Tubbo was sure the two of them would be making the news in at least two hours, maybe even sooner.

That wasn't a reassuring thought.

When he looked back up however, Tommy was gone. After a brief moment of panic, he spotted his companion waiting for him at the crosswalk. Eyes on the ground and tugging off the edge of his shirt.