Chapter 1 - The Meeting

Word count: 2646

__ __ __

Tuesday was coming to an end as the sun set behind the horizon. For normal people this would be the perfect time to start thinking about sleeping as they would have work tomorrow.
For you though, this was only the beginning of the day.

The last rays of sun woke you up through the blackout curtains your cat Obsidian, also known as Obi, had rudely moved while jumping off the window still.
You covered your eyes with your hand while letting out a few curse words, but in the end decided it was useless to try to go back to sleep.

You took your phone from the nightstand and turned to your other side, now facing the emptiness of your queen sized bed.
You pulled your blanket over yourself more firmly as you unlocked the phone to reveal the icons of the same social media apps you always used.

You knew you should stop being on your phone so much and actually do something with your life. But what were you supposed to do?
Your parents had always told you to get a real job, art or music weren't ones in their eyes. You saw art and music as an escape from the world, and it was one of the few things keeping you sane at the moment.

While opening up Twitter your cat Obi jumped on the bed to greet you, it was clearly time for his breakfast, or dinner at this hour?
Obi climbed on your side, his soft paws putting pressure on you while he purred and let out a few meows, just in case you didn't notice him already.

"Yeah Obi, I know", you said to the cat as an answer. Since you didn't see much of your friends anymore, Obi had become your best talking buddy. Black cats were usually pretty vocal, and so was Obi.
You didn't know that fact when you decided to get him, but got used to the constant meowing for food or attention.

After browsing through a few more tweets you closed the phone screen, and finally got up from the bed.
You headed for the kitchen, Obi running ahead of you towards his bowl that was currently empty.

"You know, if you didn't eat it all at once you wouldn't have to wake me up to be able to eat", you said to Obi as if he understood you at all before putting some food in his bowl.
Obi started to munch away happily while you walked to the fridge only to realise it was mostly empty when you opened the door.

The bad thing about living alone was that there was nobody that would go shopping for you. Another bad thing was that you were responsible for keeping the apartment clean.
With seasonal depression making your casual depression worse, it was hard to keep everything clean and food in your fridge.

With the fridge empty that would only mean you would have to walk to the nearest store to get something for the night at least.
You knew it was late already and that you shouldn't go outside at this hour alone, but you didn't have any other choice.

Before you were able to leave the comfort of your home you had to sit down for a second and collect some energy to actually go outside.
It would have been so easy to just go back to bed and do nothing all day, but you knew that the hunger would get annoying eventually.

You sat on the kitchen table browsing your phone for a while even after Obi had finished eating, he was now running around the apartment like crazy.
You checked your apps, but there really wasn't anything new, so you just kept going back and forth until you got enough motivation to get up to leave.

You checked out of the living room window and saw it was raining a bit, but not too much for you to take your umbrella with you.
You changed out of the t-shirt and shorts you had worn for the night and put on some of your favorite comfort clothes that fit the weather outside.
After that you put on a black face mask to match the rest of your outfit, after all, there was still a pandemic going on.