Chapter 14: Training Day

Chapter 14: Training Day,

Bella's POV...

It was a chilly morning in spring when Caius picked me up and explained it was time to go train for battle. I got a knot in my gut in anticipation because I knew the pack and the vampires were coming together as allies for the very first time. And I get to see Jake again! But what was really making me nervous was Edward. Caius told me he returned last night from cooling off, from who knows where, and he seemed a little off and quiet. Probably from the knowledge that I have a true mate, so it was hopeless to try to take me away from Caius. It would be awkward, but I was determined to be at ease.

I walked out of the house with Caius holding my hand and I took a seat in the chair on the porch. Everyone started to gather in the front yard. Each mate stood side by side, except Caius and Edward stood alone. Felix and Demetri stood together flexing their hands, getting themselves psyched out. I suddenly saw Edward narrowing his eyes at Caius and stood rigid, ready to pounce on him at first opportunity.

I saw my mate wrestle with his keyed-up emotions from the added attention of Edwards presence, and Jacob shows up in wolf form with the pack. Because, they did not trust the vampires, they decided not to be in human form. But I didn't think on it too long. When I saw my friend, I was ecstatic. I dashed from my chair and wrap my arms around Jacob's shimmering ginger furry neck. Caius watched me carefully but did not interfere with my happy reunion with the pack.

I stood with Jake as we listened to Jasper talk about how to fight newborns. Edward translated the wolf's thoughts in emotionless monotone that had me worried. But I was soon distracted by what he had to say because it was really interesting yet frightening to listen how dangerous the vampires were. I held tight to Jake, feeling scared then I felt it before I saw, Caius snapped his head to look at me. Many emotions flitted over his features among them were, concern, anger, and jealousy. He stood there with his fists clenched and tried hard to fight his desire to rip Jake apart, so I thought it best to go back to the porch. I knew Caius couldn't help his mating instinct, so I decided not to push him.

So, with Jasper ending his dialogue, the sparring began. All tried their hardest to best Jasper in an attack, but most were not prepared for his massive skills. Except Caius. My mate approached him with experience and skill of the ancient vampire. His moods were clearly careful and calculated and planned. I watch in rising pleasure and pride as he, in no time pinned Jasper to the dirt. Caius's lips curled into charming sideways manner as he helped Jasper up.

Jasper dusted himself off and stood in the center of the eager students. ''OK, let's have sparring pairs, one on one. Everyone have a go at each other, and I will instruct on what to work on.''

I watched as mates naturally chose one another but my mate couldn't fight me, so he stood alone. He was not the only one, so did Edward. Jasper started to walk over to them, but Edward held up his hand.

''It's fine Jasper, I'll take on Caius, he looks like he needs to take out his anger on someone. What do you say, huh your Majesty?'' Edward challenged in a mocking tone.

''It would be great, actually. I could use a sparring partner.'' Caius answered without missing a beat, cracking his knuckles. Edwards eyes widened in response.

Caius POV...

I stared Edward down and we circled each other. We taunted back and forth. I had the satisfaction of watching that smug bastard grow in uncertainty as he observed my deadly calm.

''Gentlemen! This is no place to ...''Carlisle called in attempt to stop the fight.

''I can handle it dad. ''Edward interrupted in a childish manner, causing many to gasp.