Her Silver Lining Part 1

A woman flew through a laser grid, it diced her body with little effort. All commotion in the mess hall died down as blood pooled just beyond the gate, the stench of singed flesh overpowered every other smell in the mire of sweat and gruel. The guards did not bother to spare even a glance at that burnt mass of viscera, they merely turned to the aggressor and lifted their rifles. Jolene managed to cover her ears before the six shots rang through her skull. The aggressor's body dropped with a thud to the metal floor. After acknowledging the scene, Gwen continued prattling on about babies, Coca-Cola and sacrificial daggers.

Jolene lied in bed hugging herself in hopes of falling asleep but the Panopticon would not allow it. The watchtower's silhouette loomed beyond the metal bars of her cell, cameras like electric eyes lined the spire and pierced every corner of the cell block with their green tinted gaze. All secrets lay unearthed by The watcher's omnipresence.

She could see the guards watching her from the courtyard walls. Electric eyes turned back and forth on alert for suspicious activity yet no one came to her aid. Not the guards, not the prisoners, not Gwen, no one. In her own little corner Jolene had to fend for herself. The blade drew ever closer to her stomach despite Jolene pushing against her assailant's hands with what little strength she had left.

Green Dolphin Street Prison was a place that swallowed the weak whole.

-------------------------------------[☆]------------------------------------

The tangled mess of computer innards that plagued Jolene Joestar's table clashed with the glossy wooden countertops and pastel colors that dotted the rest of the café. All manner of sidecast glances and conceited murmurs weighed down on the corner where she sat tinkering with her machines.

Click.

Refresh.

Nothing.

Jolene Joestar had finally finished wiring the processor and ports to a PC she was working on for a friend. She wiped her sweatless forehead and dusted her dustless hands before sparing a glance at her personal laptop to check if she had received the life changing email she had been waiting for.

Click.

Refresh.

Nothing...

The script controlling her laptop continued reloading her email with pointless efficiency. A bot that continually refreshed a page somehow wasn't the least productive program she had ever written. It soured her mood to think of the fridge bot she made for her aunt, they had spent all night cleaning that mess up. The lack of any new emails brought her spirits even lower. She didn't even bother with her coffee, it was cold ever since the moment it arrived. Out of the corner of her eye she could see the waitress glaring at her.

Jolene huffed before turning to her third computer, an older model running an antiquated operating system which made it the perfect burner. The screen flashed with bright colors, a game was being played autonomously by a bot. Squashed jpegs that represented Mark Zuckerberg heads shuffled left and right dodging tax-bullets from a compressed IRS logo against a white checkered backdrop. The game's title card read: Pister Blister. She had built it herself in Scratch but the gameplay only existed for visual flair to hide the program's true purpose.

Jolene raised her eyebrows while she eyed the score at the top of the screen. Thirty-four million five hundred and thirty-two thousand two hundred and thirty-four points.

"Geez, the program 's never taken this long before," she mumbled to herself.

Click.

Refresh.